Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Like Father Like Son

New member? Introduce yourself here!
Jackson Bondy
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Jacksb4

Like Father Like Son

Post by Jackson Bondy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:04 pm

Hello!

My name is Jack, I'm 19 and I just bought my first 'Lude - a 98 BB9 with Motegei Alloys.
About 18 months ago a friend of my dad's sold him his 2.2 Auto and over that time I've come to really like the car, mainly for its comfort on long journeys, style and its handling so I started looking for my own. About two weeks ago I decided to have a quick look through Gumtree and stumbled across a 2.0, manual with only 77K miles on it for £750 so I decided to go and have a look.
Turned up and the bloke was lovely, he loved the car and was the second owner but in the ten years he owned it it hadn't been driven much at all - only on the supermarket run or to work on rainy days, plus the odd motorway journey. He was now driving his partners car so it was time for him to let the car go. The service history is a bit patchy but the important bits are there, plus each full service it has done was not cheap to say the least (average of around £800). He genuinely seemed to have taken great care of it over the years he had owned it and it really shows (6 CD changer and original stereo both present after 18 years level of original), so last weekend I went and picked the car up. Managed to get it jacked up today and the chassis looks (to my relatively inexperienced eyes at least) as good as the rest of the car so I'm extactic! My dad has lurked here for a while and the banter and knowledge seem copious so thought I'd sign up :lol:
Overall the only diasppointment is that I can't drive it until I get my first years no claims discount which isn't until March, I didn't even get to drive it home! :cry: Still, plenty of time to get stuff done to it over the winter and it makes me smile when I drive home! :D
Anyway enough of my ramblings, here's a few photos and questions (Sorry about the potato quality, I'll try and get some better ones later on, also they're the right way round on Dropbox but not on here so apologies):

Front:

Motegei Alloys in need of some love:

Window seals need a good clean:

Sometimes I like to just come and sit in here:

Does this downpipe need a closer look? The back section is almost mint (had an advisory in 2013 but that's the latest paperwork I have) but the downpipe is a little more rusted than it looks in the photo.

And the lower suspension in general on both sides is a lot more rusted at the front than the rest of the chassis - anything to worry about?

Also this water in the boot, the carpet is not wet so it's either not come in there or it's been sat for a while, I assume it's an indicator that the seals around the rear lights need replacing but I'm not sure?

And finally, on the original invoice there's a Spray Bottom Seal accessory, is that an undercoat and if so how long does it last? If it needs doing then it's a dirty job and I'd really rather get it sorted before the cold winter months set in.

The difficulty I'm having apart from that is whether to invest my time and money into the car or hold out and wait for a 2.2 in a few years when I can afford the insurance. Personally I think the 2.0 is fast enough, and the car I have is an excellent example but I wanted some opinions.
Right now plans are to put on 282 Calipers with braided hoses (these are a straight bolt on, correct?) if I can find some, get the Motegei alloys refurbed and maybe painted if I chose to keep them and get the wood trim effect (Someone actually paid £210 to have wood effect in their car? Maybe it was a 90's thing I dunno :lol: ) out of the car ASAP! Someone also key'd the bootlid and there's a dent by the passenger door handle so probably should get both of those sorted out too.

Sorry again about the essay I'm a bit notorious for it, so hello I guess! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Jackson Bondy on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

craig_jdm

Post by craig_jdm » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:47 pm

welcome car looks good certainly better than the stuff I had at your age
I hit the limiter in my h23 vtec still didn't kick in

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:22 pm

Welcome and well done for posting up so soon after buying the car. We do try with the banter :lol: (and a bit of knowledge too ;) )

Awesome car for a 19 year old to have. As you say, ludes are fantastic gt cars (great for a long cruise).

That exhaust and suspension doesn't look like anything to worry about from the pics. Whereabouts are you? Another member might be nearby and be available to take a look for you maybe, if you wanted?

Looks like you posted the suspension piccy twice rather than the water in the boot piccy, but yep, I think the rear light seals are a favourite cause of leaks into the boot on 5g's (a 5g owner will be along to confirm soon, I'm sure).

As for the 282 brake upgrade, they are straight bolt on, yes. You'll need calipers and carriers from a 4th or 5th gen prelude and discs from a 4th gen vtec lude (4g are all 4x114.3 bolt pattern, whereas 5g vtec's are 5x114.3. Your 5g 2.0 will be 4x114.3)

Jackson Bondy

Post by Jackson Bondy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:01 pm

craig_jdm wrote:welcome car looks good certainly better than the stuff I had at your age
Thanks! Don't worry I'm driving a 1.1 106 at the moment that is an ex Cat C :lol:
wurlycorner wrote:Welcome and well done for posting up so soon after buying the car. We do try with the banter :lol: (and a bit of knowledge too ;) )

Awesome car for a 19 year old to have. As you say, ludes are fantastic gt cars (great for a long cruise).

That exhaust and suspension doesn't look like anything to worry about from the pics. Whereabouts are you? Another member might be nearby and be available to take a look for you maybe, if you wanted?

Looks like you posted the suspension piccy twice rather than the water in the boot piccy, but yep, I think the rear light seals are a favourite cause of leaks into the boot on 5g's (a 5g owner will be along to confirm soon, I'm sure).

As for the 282 brake upgrade, they are straight bolt on, yes. You'll need calipers and carriers from a 4th or 5th gen prelude and discs from a 4th gen vtec lude (4g are all 4x114.3 bolt pattern, whereas 5g vtec's are 5x114.3. Your 5g 2.0 will be 4x114.3)
Thankyou! Haha well I've learnt an awful lot already but a long way to go yet!

Yeah I'm very lucky in that I found one at the right time and the insurance isn't too bad on it either, surprisingly so actually.

Ah glad to hear it, reassuring to hear that. Down in Fareham actually and if anyone wants to come take a look they're more than welcome.

Ah sorry, updated it now, I'll see if I can hunt down some new seals online, probably won't hurt to change them anyway.

Excellent, I'll get hunting then!
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:12 pm

There is a Honda mechanic on here that lives down your way as it goes :D

Jackson Bondy

Post by Jackson Bondy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:27 pm

wurlycorner wrote:There is a Honda mechanic on here that lives down your way as it goes :D
Really? Always handy to know for when I inevitably balls something up :lol:
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:49 pm

@thebusofwoe is a busy lad though, so don't take anything for granted.

Thebusofwoe
Supporter 2014

Post by Thebusofwoe » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :Hello: :)

I am the forums resident Honda Technician. Main master diagnostic tech of 10 years. Looks like a nice 5th that one. If i can help with anything then just shout.
:D 8-)
One life, LIVE IT! Get VTEC, LOVE it. Drive a Honda and ENJOY it.

Build thread : http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t7849.html

Jackson Bondy

Post by Jackson Bondy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:21 pm

wurlycorner wrote:@Thebusofwoe is a busy lad though, so don't take anything for granted.
That I shall not, cheers for the heads up anyhow :)
Thebusofwoe wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum :Hello: :)

I am the forums resident Honda Technician. Main master diagnostic tech of 10 years. Looks like a nice 5th that one. If i can help with anything then just shout.
:D 8-)
Thanks for the welcome and kind words about the car!
Not lacking experience then ;) Haha I'd be careful if I were you I might just end up taking you up on that offer! :D
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

Thebusofwoe
Supporter 2014

Post by Thebusofwoe » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:37 pm

Thats what im here for. Wont be the first ;) 8-)
One life, LIVE IT! Get VTEC, LOVE it. Drive a Honda and ENJOY it.

Build thread : http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t7849.html

Return to “New Members”