Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

New member - Need help!

New member? Introduce yourself here!
CookiePrelude1057
My Generation: 5G

New member - Need help!

Post by CookiePrelude1057 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi all!

I need help/advice if poss :)

I purchased a 5th gen Prelude last year off a gentleman who owned it since new. When I asked about service history I got the old 'serviced by a friend' mumbo jumbo. Must be a bad friend as I don't think it's ever seen a service in it's life! I'll get to that later.

On the way home the exhaust blew like a motherf*cka - I knew it needed a new exhaust so wasn't too fussed about this. It cut out once, think it needs a new ignition switch - again here nor there. It drove sweet, apart from being a little sluggish - found out the front brake was seized on.

Took it home, booked in for a new exhaust which cost me and arm and a leg - should of got a custom one made! Then we went about fixing bits and bats, free'd brake, fixed oil leak which was distributor O ring. Topped up the oil which appeared low.

After we undertook the work it developed an issue which we can't get to the bottom of. It smokes heavily, like a very thick fog which covers the street! The smoke isn't black and doesn't smell oily. And it doesn't appear to be white, like it's burning coolant. The radiator has a little leak but no signs of oil in the water/water in the oil. I doubt its headgasket. We did wonder if we overfilled the oil so changed it. When we risked it and took it for a drive the oil pressure lights comes on.

We've done the following work:
- Changed O ring and distributer.
- Oil change, incl filters plugs etc.
- Changed all valve seals.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar issues or can offer any advice on this?

I'm at the end of my tether with it, already spent money on it and don't want to waste any more on trying stuff to no avail. I even advertised the car on eBay in a moment of weakness, although I now think I was being a bit premature so will remove it.

I genuinely like the car and want to get it back on the road, do it up some more etc.

Apologies if I'm being a little thick and it's something blindingly obvious!

I'll try upload some photos (when I work out how!)

Thanks. Chris :)

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Welcome to LG!! Sorry to hear of your troubles.

If the oil pressure light is coming on there are some possibilities; faulty oil pressure switch, oil pump has failed, but since there is lots of smoke it could be head gasket. If oil/water is leaking into the cylinder, this would lead to smoke and a drop in oil pressure.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

thusee
XBOX GamerTag: DA2NV
PSN GamerTag: IDRVSLW

Post by thusee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Do a compression test and get the numbers for each cylinder.

Do a Dry AND Wet test.

CookiePrelude1057

Post by CookiePrelude1057 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks for the quick replies! I did think possible oil pressure switch. And my neighbour kindly offered to lend us a compression test kit. Will hopefully have a look this weekend! I'll post an update :)

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:58 am

Welcome.
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
They are very unusual on an H22 so hopefully it's nothing terminal.
Please do let us know how you get on and if you need any more help.

Whereabouts are you? There may be an experienced member (lol) nearby that can have a poke about to help?

CookiePrelude1057

Post by CookiePrelude1057 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:48 am

Yeah I shall do. I've trawled through various forums and couldn't see anyone with similar problems.

I'll keep it updated when we have a look over. I'm leaning more towards the head gasket at the min.

I'm located in Oakworth, just outside keighley. If anyone nearby wants to pop up if be more than grateful! Be some beers in it!

Myself and my father (him more so) know a reasonable amount about cars, just not these and unfortunately it's finding the time to look at it. I thought the prelude would be an easy reliable project! Still hope it will be :)

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:48 am

Compression test is the starting point.

Return to “New Members”