Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Hello from Germany

New member? Introduce yourself here!
TypeS 4 Tea
My Generation: 5G

Hello from Germany

Post by TypeS 4 Tea » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:34 pm

It's been many years since I last took a peak around these forums, but I was relieved to see there is still activity here, so figured it was time to register and introduce myself.

Firstly I should probably state that I'm a Brit in Exile in Germany, I moved here in 2007, found a German wife etc. Anyhow, I know I tend to waffle on sometimes, but I have a bit of a story to tell so I hope some of you find it interesting.

My first Honda was a CRX DelSol VGi (JDM), I absolutely loved this car, we took it over 5,000km on our honeymoon for example. Driving from Germany to Bristol, through Wales, across Ireland to the west coast from Belfast, then all around the northern coast, before returning via Newcastle back home to the continent. Sadly though, I only kept it 2 years, I wanted to replace it with an Accord originally but simply couldn't find a good one and ended up with a Jaguar S-Type instead. I almost bought a Type S Prelude during this time, but it was a long way away and the dealer wouldn't part-ex my CRX, I wanted like £500 for it and didn't particularly like the attitude of someone selling a JDM car refusing a part ex because I had a JDM car.

A few years later I was in the market for something smaller than the Jag, a really nice car but nothing I ever loved or felt any passion for. I was torn between a Mazda RX8 and the Prelude and originally found a beautiful low millage VTi in my favourite colour (green) for a sensible price. But, before I could go to check it out, the seller changed their mind so that never worked out. At this point I figured, meh, the RX8 looks like the better option, so much easier to find one, I even test drove one and loved the car, just not the one I tested. Then up popped a high millage VTi in shabby condition, but it was only £800 and nearby, so I figured I might as well take a look. Well 5 minutes driving in a VTi and I no longer wanted the Mazda, I absolutely loved the car and bought it there and then. Cue two weeks in the garage having it prepared for use and fixing the bodywork issues and she was ready to go. Despite the high millage, it had been really well cared for mechanically, the interior was in excellent condition and the engine was smooth and powerful. I had a further two weeks back in the UK with her, before returning home but hadn't bonded with the car like I had expected. On the trip back I was going around the ring road in Brussels and suddenly had the 'magic moment' that began my (doomed) love affair. Not to mention, having driven 1,000km in it, I got out without the usual aches and pains I normally get from such a long drive. I took her out the next day for a trip up the local mountains, whilst making use of the derestricted autobahn, some *censored* cut me up leaving some services whilst I was doing over 120mph. I had to make a split second manoeuvre to avoid a rear end collision. Sadly in doing so I lost the back end, I managed to pull the car out of a skid twice to avoid something really nasty happening, but the car spun and then I ended up going backwards. Long story short, I held on long enough that when I did finally hit the crash barrier, my partner and I were able to walk away from the accident mostly unscathed. Sadly though, my new friend had sacrificed her life in the process.

So, cue the search for another Prelude, I went to look at a Motegi in Blackburn, but the instant I spotted it (from over 100m away), I knew I would not buy this car. The dealer had completely lied about its condition and likely fudged the pictures somehow. It was even on illegal tyres, sigh. A few months later I found a nice looking Type S in Belfast, the paintwork was flawless as were the wheels, but as I found out quickly driving it home, mechanically it's in need of some attention. Embarrassingly, I allowed myself to get scammed a little, since the seller changed plans at the last moment and forced me into the position of flying home empty handed or buying the car without first having driven it, a mistake I will never fall for again.

Two big problems arose however, firstly that the CAT had been removed from the car, it had a fresh MOT and UK registration (having been originally registered in Ireland), so I know it had been there. Secondly, I had not realised how difficult it would be to insure a car with a Northern Ireland plate on UK insurance, not expensive, just everyone says no. I would have registered the car in Germany at this point, but without the CAT this would be a huge problem. In fact, the German TüV (MOT) is much tougher than in the UK to pass, the basic problem being that I'd ploughed about £10k into getting a Prelude at this point and I couldn't risk throwing more money at the car. So I had my two weeks with the Type S (temporary insurance), then I had to garage it. Where I live a parking space is at least 80€ a month, let alone a garage, but a friend of a friend living out in the country knew of someone who could store it for much less. This was in an old Vineyard, so almost ideal conditions for storing a car without it rusting or degrading more than a standing car usually would. Sadly life went a bit tits up and the car has been garaged since 2015, but for 300€ a year I was able to keep it at least.

My Type S has been named Eleanor, a reference to the Mustang from Gone in 60 Seconds, because honestly for so long it seemed like the universe just wouldn't allow me to have a Prelude, despite how much I yearn to. Here she is in the two weeks I got to use her:

Well, things have improved of late and I am hopeful I can get the car roadworthy for next summer, there is a plan of action to start early next year. I really love this car, I know it's probably not the best example and it will need a bit of TLC to get it right again, but I think it will be worth it. It has been killing me having my Type S off the road for so long and I seriously thought I would have to get rid of it for the longest time. But recent discussions make me positive that it will be possible to get it back on the road for a sensible price, so long as nothing truly terrible needs to be done.

In this regard, I will have a bunch of questions and will probably need some parts at some point also. But it's great to see so many passionate folks around here, that I really wanted to come and say hi and share my experience with you all. I plan to document the process of getting her registered and roadworthy when the time comes.
2015 to Present - Black 1997 JDM Prelude Type S
2014 - Red 1998 UK Prelude VTi

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Hello from Germany

Post by nitin_s1 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:57 pm

Wow the Type-S looks great :twisted:

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Hello from Germany

Post by vanzep » Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:02 pm

great intro :thumbup:
welcome to LG
nice and rare car you have - it will be well worth getting it back on the road
there a few type s owners here so can help with atts and suspension queries
there is a honda manual for 5th gens that you can download
have a look at the rockauto usa website as they seem to stock quite a few parts - getting genuine new parts has become difficult and expensive - more so over the last 5 years.
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Hello from Germany

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:51 pm

Hi and welcome, brilliant intro, thanks for posting up so much info and pics.

Look forward to seeing your updates!

TypeS 4 Tea

Hello from Germany

Post by TypeS 4 Tea » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:37 pm

Just a small update, I managed to find time to visit the old girl (and recover the key), which is now in a barn many miles away from me.
betterdays.jpg
So this is where I'll be starting from, first point of order is getting her started and trying to access just how much work will be needed to make it roadworthy again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 to Present - Black 1997 JDM Prelude Type S
2014 - Red 1998 UK Prelude VTi

Drax

Hello from Germany

Post by Drax » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:42 pm

wow how did i miss this - what a great story, let us know how you get on and any advice you may need :thumbup:
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

toadster

Hello from Germany

Post by toadster » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:21 pm

Lo :D
Welcome and thanks for Your story :D
Lovely looking Type S 8)
Hope You get Her up and running :mrgreen:
Cheers ;)
Toadster