Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Isuzu Bighorn

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
Thebusofwoe
Supporter 2014
My Generation: 4G

Post by Thebusofwoe » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:22 pm

Well done mate. Looking good. That amount of oil is completely normal chap. You should see how much mine breaths :lol: :shock: Brings it in through the intake breather. I was worried about mine so called technical and they confirmed that most, if not all Isuzu Diesel engine breath heavy. Looking 8-)
One life, LIVE IT! Get VTEC, LOVE it. Drive a Honda and ENJOY it.

Build thread : http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t7849.html

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Re: Isuzu Bighorn

Post by jjmartin349571 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:32 pm

That's good to know 8-) Surprisingly it doesn't use that much oil, I rarely have to top it up. Looking forward to driving it tomorrow now :D

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by lewd lude lover » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:57 am

Good skills mate. A bit of maintenance is always a good way to spend an afternoon 8-)

Your pipes and hose situation is very indicative of the reasons I want to try and find something newer but I do love the road presence of the bighorn.

Have been looking into importing one..... hmmm :D
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:35 pm

:? Looks like a fair amount of work - was it worth it? (can't remember why you were setting out to remove the egr?)

All the turbo's on my CXs (diesel and petrol) breathe just like that, perfectly normal on them too! :D

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Yeah they seem to like spreading their oil around in general. :lol:

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:37 pm

:bat:
I have a fix that I will be applying for that btw... :hurr:

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Re: Isuzu Bighorn

Post by jjmartin349571 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:52 pm

lewd lude lover wrote:Good skills mate. A bit of maintenance is always a good way to spend an afternoon 8-)

Your pipes and hose situation is very indicative of the reasons I want to try and find something newer but I do love the road presence of the bighorn.

Have been looking into importing one..... hmmm :D
Cheers matey. Yeah, I can appreciate that on a newer car you're not going to be as likely to have problems with the hoses and other rubber bits. Silicone hose is cheap these days though, so I've got several metres on order as well as a bunch of clips so that nothing can blow off under pressure this time around. I find it quite therapeutic replacing vacuum hoses anyway so I'll enjoy that :lol: :oops:

I'd love to have a freshly imported one, there's some minters lurking out in Japan... They're much more expensive than the equivalent vehicle in the UK though, so you'd have to really want one. When mine eventually lays down and dies I might treat myself :lol:
wurlycorner wrote::? Looks like a fair amount of work - was it worth it? (can't remember why you were setting out to remove the egr?)

All the turbo's on my CXs (diesel and petrol) breathe just like that, perfectly normal on them too! :D
The EGR valves are known to become jammed open when they reach the end of their life, the result of which is just general poor running. Nothing fatal, but for the sake of a few quid and a couple of hours spannering you can prevent that. Supposedly there's an improvement in driveability at certain throttle positions too, but tbh the 3.1 is such a tractor that I doubt I'll notice anything on mine, the valves were in good shape too from the looks of it.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:56 pm

How does removal affect economy and emissions?

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by lewd lude lover » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:16 pm

makes em both betterer imho.

Emissions maybe not but I think once they are scragged they are making for poor combustion as it is. Our horse van goes better and has better fuel economy after blocking it. It passed the mot with it in.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

MOT day

Post by jjmartin349571 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:29 pm

The Bighorn had its MOT today :?

It was a fail unfortunately :( But nothing too bad luckily.

Failed on:

O/S/F brake pipe corroded
O/S/R brake pipe corroded
O/S headlamp aim
O/S/R rear fog light not red enough
Anti roll bar 'D' bushes worn and allowing movement

Advised on:

Front to rear brake pipe slightly corroded
Front brake disc worn/pitted/scored but not seriously weakened
Rear brake disc worn/pitted/scored but not seriously weakened
Front brake pads wearing thin
Rear brake pads wearing thin
Damage to wind screen less than 10mm diameter in zone 'A'
Fuel lines corroded
Exhaust fitted badly and resting on mounts

The fog lamp is easy, although the original importer has gone with a red bulb in the reversing light which I'm not a fan of, so I'll be fitting a separate rear fog that I can detach and refit as needed. D bushes look like an easy job, so will get those sorted. Rear brake pipe looks super easy, it's fairly straight and is mounted on the rear axle with only one clip holding it in place. Front brake pipe disappears into the engine bay, so no doubt that will make my life difficult. The MOT station will sort the headlamp aim, provided the mechanism works freely.

I should probably sort some of the advisories too, I'll be getting the wheels off for the brakes so I'll look them over and see if they need replacing. I need to sort the exhaust as it knocks like a mofo at a specific RPM. It looks like the wrong exhaust though so I'm not sure if the hangers line up with the chassis mounts... Fuel lines, I bet that's going to be a horrible job so I may save that for another day :lol:

The one saving grace with a 4x4 this size is that there's good access to everything underneath it without even getting a jack out 8-)

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”