Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Golf Mk2

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Re: Golf Mk2

Post by jjmartin349571 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Rudelude wrote:I do love the old golfs, gonna b real good when it's finished...
Cheers matey, I love the old Golf's too :) I know mine will never be a mint show car, but it's always hanging in there and it will hopefully be a fun little motor once it's done.
wurlycorner wrote:Ingenious use of seat belts there :D

That exhaust manifold looks horribly inefficient :?
Yeah the seatbelts were lashed on as I had visions of the lump coming for me and my mate with a vengeance if things were to go South at any point :lol:

Yus I fear the Golf manifolds are Clubbing Eddy, the engines are right up against the firewall and both manifolds are mounted to the rear of the engine, so there's not much choice but for almost 90 degree bends all over the shop. I took some more pics to show this, see below :lol:

Anyway, more pics from the weekend:

I'm loving the boot space there - I don't know why I didn't buy a 4x4 sooner :D

Bit of a ratty looking manifold but it was cheap 8-)

Mk3 Golf subframe, along with control arms to give the 'wide track' set up :twisted: There's an ARB too, which will be bliss as my Golf doesn't have one - it rolls like a mofo currently. I've also got the steering knuckles which gives me a 5 stud set up and will allow me to run GTi brake callipers so I can stop the thing once it's a bit faster. All I need to source is 1 additional wheel bearing (I was given a free new one with the suspension) as there's play in both bearings. I need to get rear stub axles as well to complete the 5 stud set up.

^Just for you Iain :)

ECU and immobiliser gubbins. I intend to keep the immobiliser functionality by fitting the transponder into an rclick flip key, this all depends on how good my wiring skills are though :lol:

So that's all the bits I've sourced so far. Still to obtain is the engine bay wiring loom, which will plug straight in to my fusebox apparently (the joys of a 90's Mk2, as I probably keep mentioning it has the CE2 fusebox from a mk3, so mk3 Golf wiring plugs straight in 8-) ). I need a fuel pump as well, as the carby lump has a mechanical fuel pump. I think there's a couple of other bits I need but I can't remember... I think I may need Mk3 GTi driveshafts.

Anyway this evening I decided to have a bash at making the inlet manifold look a bit more presentable. I did a bit of a rough and ready job with the paint and tools I had lying around, and for what it is I don't think it's too bad.

Before:

After:

Paint is still wet but I'm hoping it'll look ok once done. As for the longevity, I have no doubt it'll be flaking off soon :lol: Oh well :roll:

Last but not least insurance - being the good boy I am I will of course declare my engine swap. I was worried about where this would put me price wise, as this is a very cheap car to insure for me currently. I got a quote last night with all the mods I intend to do declared, and I got a premium of £330 which I was very pleased with 8-) So I will hopefully get the swap done ASAP and snap that up.

So next step is get my younger brother over at the weekend and we'll start ripping stuff apart :lol: Watch this space!

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:01 pm

I dragged my younger brother over today, between us we made pretty quick work of the Golf. 2 quick pics from a fair bit earlier:

Tbh the construction of the Golf is very simple, it's quite easy to take apart :) The only part of note was the drive shafts, I was expecting them to be splined and held in with clip like I've found on Honda's but they were actually basically flat ended and held on by 12 spline bolts :roll: Lucky I have a set of weird spline tools that I bought last time I was doing something major on the Golf :) on the plus side they can be seperated from the gearbox without losing any gear oil and with the steering knuckle in situ, so every cloud I guess. Only problem I can see is that to replace the inner CV boot you have to strip the joint down... but saying that, I've only done a few miles since my MOT and the boot on the passenger side has come apart at some point, presumably pre MOT :?

Anyway, all that's left to get the old lump out is to remove the engine mounts, so that shouldn't be too much drama. Then I'll pull out the wiring loom for the carb engine, to be replaced later by a digifant fuel injection loom 8-) In the meantime the new engine can go in, and I'll swap over the ancillaries. Then I will just have a few little bits to sort before I should be back in action (I think I need to make a few hoses, nothing too dramatic).

Bring on tomorrow :D

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sun May 25, 2014 9:37 am

Fast work, didn't realise the front slam panel unbolted like on modern cars - makes things much easier!

:shock: The golf doesn't have an ARB atm? :? That's quite shocking TbH! I knew they penny pinched on equipment but that sets an entirely new low in my book!
:? I've never owned a car that doesn't have an ARB - even my ancient cheapy Sunny has one!

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:15 pm

wurlycorner wrote:Fast work, didn't realise the front slam panel unbolted like on modern cars - makes things much easier!

:shock: The golf doesn't have an ARB atm? :? That's quite shocking TbH! I knew they penny pinched on equipment but that sets an entirely new low in my book!
:? I've never owned a car that doesn't have an ARB - even my ancient cheapy Sunny has one!
Yeah there's only 4 bolts holding the slam panel in or something stupid like that, so it came off no problem :lol: I couldn't be arsed to drop the cross member at the front, but some people do and it allows the engine to come out forwards without raising it at all - I don't consider it a job done though if I haven't banged the engine into the chassis legs a few times and bent any brake hard lines that I can see so I lifted mine up and out :lol: And no, there's no arb on the mk2's apart from the GTi models (and maybe the diesels but I'm not 100% on that). The brackets are present so you can retrofit one, I just never got round to it. But yeah, the Golfs are definitely not that well equipped - gives me something to do though :twisted:

Today's progress - engine out, all the bits I can swap over to the new motor have been swapped... But it turns out I need some new stretch bolts for the clutch pressure plate, and I need new bolts for my inlet manifold as the carb inlet has different length mounting holes.

So now I'm trying to find new stretch bolts seperate from a clutch (as mine is in pretty good shape, despite my best efforts whilst driving the car :lol: ). I'm' not having much joy, so I may end up buying a new clutch kit :roll: I'm considering a new water pump and alternator too - that all depends on if I can't be arsed to swap the crank pulley off the old engine. If I actually pull my finger out and remove the 8 bolts in total to swap them over then the old ancillaries and belt can go straight on :oops:

So I'm on hold with putting the 2 litre lump back in to the car currently, which means tomorrow I'll be pulling out wires. I've already got the old loom out as far back as the bulk head, I just need to remove the master cylinder for access and then I can pull the fusebox side of the wiring through. I bet that'll be fun :?

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:09 pm

I bought new stretch bolts for the clutch pressure plate and flywheel today. I also inadvertently caused pandemonium in the VW parts department whilst everyone tried to remember what bolts went where on the Golf whilst reading their diagrams trying to find the bits I had asked for :roll: At any rate that's the best part of £30 spent on 12 bolts :evil:

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Wed May 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Well at least they knew what they were looking for/where to look. If I walk up to the CitroVAUXHAUL parts counter these days they just say "what's a Xantia" :troll:

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Quick update:

Sourced and fitted a PCV valve:

Old water pump fitted :oops: Piece of body lemonade to change in situ though so I can sort it later :)

Sourced and fitted a dizzy. Missing a clip which holds the cap on though so I may have to improvise a bit :?

All starting to come together 8-)

Off with the gigantic and crazy heavy mk3 crank pulley:

And fitted the tiny Mk2 one. It's so much lighter than the Mk3 pulley,so not sure if it might make any difference to engine performance.

Then I battled with this:

And pulled out this:

Then tidied up some HT leads and fitted the dizzy cap :lol:

I also swapped the clutch and flywheel to the new engine, but I didn't take photos of this for some reason :?

Still to do is find and fit a mk3 engine loom, fit an electric fuel pump, and also find a dowel to fit to the gearbox as the new engine is missing one and the old ones won't come out the block. I think there's other stuff to do but I can't really remember :lol: Will try and get up the scrappy this weekend and see if I can't get some usable bits at any rate 8-)

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Not updated this in a bit!!

Put the new lump in at the weekend 8-)

Now it's on to the wiring :(

Chopped out this much crap so far

:?

It's slow going because I'm crap at wiring but I'm slowly getting there. Really looking forward to just getting the car running again, ever since I got the car all I wanted was a fuel injected engine it. I'm so close to living the dream :lol:

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:14 am

:think: how comes able to remove stuff from the wiring? I'd have thought you needed to be adding stuff rather than removing?

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:32 am

I forgot to mention that It's a mk3 Golf loom I'm modifying, as you're quite right the Mk2 Golf loom would need a lot adding to it :lol:

I'm using the Mk2 clocks, coil & ignition module, lighting loom, fan loom and and a few other bits so a lot of the stuff from the Mk3 loom is surplus to requirements. There was aircon stuff in the loom as well so all that had to go, as well as stuff for the multifunction display - all I want left is ignition stuff basically :)

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”