Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Golf Mk2

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:30 am

Multifunction display?

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Re: Golf Mk2

Post by jjmartin349571 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:33 am

wurlycorner wrote:Multifunction display?
Yeah, some GTi's (or maybe all I'm not sure) had a display on the dash showing outside temp, mpg and jobby. Mine's poverty spec so I just have a 24hr clock there and I refuse to pay the obscene amount of money that GTi clocks cost :lol:

Mattbigwood
My Generation: 5G

Post by Mattbigwood » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 am

jjmartin349571 wrote:
wurlycorner wrote:Multifunction display?
Yeah, some GTi's (or maybe all I'm not sure) had a display on the dash showing outside temp, mpg and jobby. Mine's poverty spec so I just have a 24hr clock there and I refuse to pay the obscene amount of money that GTi clocks cost :lol:
My dad had a Golf GTI in the early 90s which had a multi-function thing on the dash. I remember hurredly checking it one evening when I had borrowed the car to make sure it didn't record the maximum speed.... :oops:

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:10 pm

More wiring.... :|

I've started taping the loom up now so it's nice and neat. Had to stop here as I'm not 100% If I can take the VSS plug out, I'm worried 2 of the 3 wires may be needed by the ECU. I doubt it though but won't chop out until I'm completely sure.

I find wrapping the mess of wires up into 1 tight bundle very satisfying :lol: That's probably all the years I've spent in accounts coming out.

On the other chassis leg I'm still trying to determine which of 2 plugs is the charcoal canister and which is the IAT. Once I've figured that out I can chop out the charcoal canister plug and wrap that part of the loom.

Then I need to splice in the mk2 coil wiring and extend the windscreen wiper loom and that's the engine bay electrics done and dusted.

After that I just need to jury rig the mk3 immobiliser in, refit the fusebox and then forget about wiring for a bit... until I come to retrofit the fuel pumps :?

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Impressive dedication...

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Cheers mate :) I love my Golf so I don't mind putting the time in. Once the engine swap is done I can start tidying the bodywork up and get it looking presentable again. It's had a hard life so I feel like it's time it got a little TLC :D

The wiring is definitely the hardest part for me. I have had to work quite hard to figure out what I needed and what I didn't, although I do enjoy problem solving so I have found it rewarding :) should be much more straightforward once the wiring is done though as I'll be back to just bolting things on.

On a completely different note I'll drop you a text about Saturday in a min!!

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Haven't updated this in a bit... Wiring is done, bar wrapping it up neatly. I had fun splicing the Mk2 coil and ignition amplifier into the mk3 loom (mk3 coil has a rep for being Clubbing Eddy) but it's done now. I managed to get the mk3 ECU to fit where the mk2 one would fit in the scuttle, even though it's much larger :? I got a lot of bits off of a mk3.5 cabriolet so that sorted out a few niggly bits like the brake vacuum boost hose and some coolant hoses. And the alternator wiring that I was missing. I've installed a mk2 GTi lift pump/fuel sender into my fuel tank which just needs power then that's sorted, I'm leaving that for a bit as it will involve fupping around lifting carpets. Fuel lines still need to be made up but that should be straightforward, and I need to fit an under car fuel pump. Coolant hoses are still needed, I'm just weighing up whether to buy used OEM or make my own new ones with bits from CBS. I need to get a garage to weld in a port for a lambda sensor in my downpipe, then I can get the lambda sensor in. PCV system also needs plumbing in, just need to get the 2 sections from VW.

So all in all not too far to go.

However, as mentioned in another thread I just bought a better engine for my Golf :lol: :roll:

I'm picking it up tomorrow :D I landed a complete 1.8 20v turbo engine plus gearbox out of a mk4 Golf for very sensible money, and even better It's only about 4 miles down the road from me 8-)

So... I have some new challenges to face. Main jobs are to install a drive by wire throttle pedal (the convention is to use a mk4 Golf one, but I kind of fancy trying out a floor mounted Passat jobby :twisted: ), pillage a Seat Ibiza GTi for a special mechanism that will replace the clutch slave and let me keep my cable operated clutch, mount an intercooler and associated pipes, get a modified downpipe that will let me marry up my golf exhaust to the turbo, mount the cable gear shifter from a mk3 Golf, install a mk3 Golf fuel tank and pump, and do some wiring.... lots of wiring :evil:

I'm going to be gathering parts for a bit, so will probably try and finish off the 2 litre 8v swap first and run that for a bit. Should be a giggle still compared to the 1.6 carby engine :) And plus once I put the 1.8 turbo in, I'll have a complete 2 litre 8v GTi conversion 'kit' at my disposal. In my dreams I'd track down my old Scirocco, and install the 2 litre lump in that - in reality though I'll probably just eBay it so somebody else can plug it straight in to their car :cry:

Any way I'll get some photos up of the new lump once I've collected it :)

W1ggz
PSN GamerTag: W1GGZ

Post by W1ggz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Are you also on Vw forums as my mrs would like a mk2 golf once her accord has got but I'll only have about a £1000 for one,

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:05 pm

Yeah I'm on this mk2 Golf forum, I chose that one as it seemed to have a fairly sensible bunch of members and was less 'scene' oriented. Unfortunately the Mk2 Golf world is much like the Civic world, in that there's a large amount of unbearable kebabs owning them which I find makes places like E38 unbearable :lol: That's just me though, maybe I don't play well with others.

a grand will get you into an 8v GTi with about 100k miles, and they're fairly reliable which they owe largely to their simplicity. For a hot hatch I don't think they're very powerful though (115bhp when new for a 1.8 8v), they are pretty light weight however. I wouldn't buy a carburettor model personally, I've had 2 VW's of that age on Pierburg carbs and it's a recipe for disaster. On the upshot most parts are super cheap!!

One thing I do find is that Golfs are woefully under equipped, you get seats and a steering wheel and that's your lot. Electric windows were available but are rare, A/C is like rocking horse jobby, and there's a few cars with power steering about. My older Honda's are miles ahead of VW in terms of equipment!

All that said, I adore my Golf and would never sell it :lol: Despite all their pitfalls, they are very fun cars, and when you look in to their little spotlight eyes your can't help but love them :lol: Chuck in the fact that with a bit of tinkering you can chuck in more advanced engines/running gear from newer Golfs, you can have the best of both worlds - old school looks with modern performance 8-) Your mrs has good car taste btw, not that I'm biased! :D

W1ggz
PSN GamerTag: W1GGZ

Post by W1ggz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:11 pm

Lol she had a old polo coupe in the past which she loved, it doesn't have to be a gti for the golf she just likes the shape of the mk2

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”