Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

XJS 5.3 V12 (converted to manual)

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
CrankmasterII
My Generation: 5G

Re: XJS 5.3 V12 (converted to manual)

Post by CrankmasterII » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:34 pm

mercutio wrote:very nice bit of a plumbing nightmare that engine though lol :lol:
Not too bad, mostly vac pipes and air con pipes
Everything has it's place in it ! I had it all stripped down, down with everything well identified
Looks a lot more daunting than it actually is

CrankmasterII

Post by CrankmasterII » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:37 pm

nick_s wrote:Love it, been hankering for one of these for ages. Cheap to insure (latest quote for me is under £200) and compared to you, cheap to tax!

Running costs on the other hand....need shares in Esso :D
It's hard to find a good one ! Suffer badly from rust in several areas so if you looking fir one I advise you to research these problem areas and if found walk away as the repair costs for example of jacking points scuttle panel inner wings etc would run very costly
As fir fuel it's smiles per gallon ya get out of it
With the manual box and cruising at 70 on motorway the trip shows 24 mpg avg
Messing around on windy roads and it's very easy to get it into the single figures !

CrankmasterII

Post by CrankmasterII » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Doggo wrote::shock: :o *badly in need of the drool smiley*

A V12 XJS Manual? I really want this.

*mumble... if you want to swap it for an immaculate 5th.... mumble.... did I say that....mumble... I am such a car tart.....mumble* :oops:

Nice car 8-)
Cheers
Completely different car with the manual compared to ghe gammy 3 speed auto box they put in
With the manual you can make wonderful use of ghe torque in it right up to redline. The acceleration is so smooth

Space1999
My Generation: 3G

Post by Space1999 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:04 pm

Wonderful - I have a 4.0 litre inline six manual (tuned) and that doesn't hang around either!

Funnily enough - and some people will scoff at this - I've always thought of the Prelude as the XJ-S's 'little brother'. It's very similar - especially the 4G - but everything's smaller (and more plasticky).

The Jag rides beautifully, handles really well (for a big car), has a super-rigid body shell, is a great tourer but a good backroad scratcher too (if the roads aren't too narrow), and is a wonderful combination of refinement and fun. Oh, and a tiny, silly backseat! Same goes for the Prelude, but it's more nimble on B-roads of course, and more reliable. But overall oddly similar cars...

Doggo
Court Jester
PSN GamerTag: FfyreDog

Post by Doggo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Oh this is getting silly :evil:

CrankmasterII

Post by CrankmasterII » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Space1999 wrote:Wonderful - I have a 4.0 litre inline six manual (tuned) and that doesn't hang around either!

Funnily enough - and some people will scoff at this - I've always thought of the Prelude as the XJ-S's 'little brother'. It's very similar - especially the 4G - but everything's smaller (and more plasticky).

The Jag rides beautifully, handles really well (for a big car), has a super-rigid body shell, is a great tourer but a good backroad scratcher too (if the roads aren't too narrow), and is a wonderful combination of refinement and fun. Oh, and a tiny, silly backseat! Same goes for the Prelude, but it's more nimble on B-roads of course, and more reliable. But overall oddly similar cars...
Yo, great to see someone else with a touch of class on the site lol
Fairly rare motor is a 4.0 manual, nice combination too with that engine.
as for your comment about handling, as you know yourself once all the bushings are changed when needed the handling is superb, however left unchecked the car can become a big sloppy bus lol
Throw up a few pics of your jag ! I have had several over the years including an 1992 XJR Sport, very rare only 500 or so were made. Im sure your aware of TWR? anyway it was a bucket of rust (floor pans/scuttle panel/door sills/sunroof/raduis arms/jacking points all rotted and too expensive to put her right), i bought her for €400 !!!
Hard to contemplate that the TWR upgrade from alone cost and extra £10k or so.
But I drove it for a year or so and loved every minute of it.
I also have a V8 daimler there too but again with the tax system over here she only gets drove for 3 months of the year.
Am hoping to get out on track during next month or two in my XJS,

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:51 pm

The LeMans special was on my 'cars to own before I die' list when I was a school kid 8-)

Did you take all the TWR kit off before scrapping?

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”