Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

The new tow truck, Trooper

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by lewd lude lover » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:49 am

interesting.

see this looks like a whle lot of vehicle for the money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-ISUZU-3- ... 4ae2ab6dff

I'd be happy to pay twice that for the right vehicle but it seems there are some pretty good ones out there for much much less.

Interesting that the swap is easy. Or 'easy' given my knowledge. You could buy a nice new shape one with a blown engine for cheaps and put in a known bought 3.1 in in its place. Maybe a great way to get the best of both modern refinement and aged reliability...

Interesting...

Anyone wanna buy a halfway converted e36 drift car? :lol:
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

Ted
My Generation: 4G

Post by Ted » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:53 am

Just out of curiosity james, how heavy is your average horse. Shetland pony to shire obviously there is a massive difference i know but ....

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:24 am

mustangs are tiny. like 14-15 hands so 500kg? Not enough burgers to warrent the hassle I would get basically...

The plan is to have the missis in the 4x4 towing the three ponies with me driving the RV. That way we are totally mobile if we need to be 8-) :D A 4x4 that can tow one of the new equitrek triples is the plan but we will need to save for that. In the mean time we will have a normal two pony box and useit for events.

Idea being we get to a point where we have two or more fields and travel between them as we need to.

Its great having members buying the same vehicles I am looking at as it gives me faith in my choices :geek:

Thebusofwoe
Supporter 2014

Re: The new tow truck, Trooper

Post by Thebusofwoe » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:43 am

Well indeed. You got the newer one I have, and JJmartin has the older 3.1. All the info you would need imo. :D 8-)
One life, LIVE IT! Get VTEC, LOVE it. Drive a Honda and ENJOY it.

Build thread : http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t7849.html

Thebusofwoe
Supporter 2014

Post by Thebusofwoe » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:43 am

If you ever want to come have a look/drive you are more than welcome chap. :D
One life, LIVE IT! Get VTEC, LOVE it. Drive a Honda and ENJOY it.

Build thread : http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t7849.html

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks 8-)

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:49 am

LLL may well be right about why that long tow bar is on there - something with a very short tow hitch but wide front (like a box trailer) might need extra clearance for turning, particularly with that spare wheel there. Or it might have been done to allow some access to the rear door with a trailer fitted???

For towing a long trailer though (like a car transporter) you would want as short a tow ball as possible. The longer the overhang at the back of the tow vehicle, the more moment there is from the trailer - I.e. more 'lift' and 'throw' from the trailer acting onto the rear of the tow vehicle. Basically as close to the rear axle as possible, is better.

That's another reason why, in hindsight, I actually don't like Disco's for towing. Nice and comfy and pulls like a train, but the back of the vehicle is high and has a large overhang, so any moment from the trailer has a big effect. In general I'm not actually sold on 4x4s for towing tbh. Too high and squashy.

Over the last year, I've towed my car transporter on more than one ocassion with each of the following;
- Disco (ok that wasn't with my actual car transporter, but no difference)
- Navarra
- LWB panel van
- Phil's Mrs' Passat.
And the best combo? The Passat, by an absolute country mile. Yes, it surprised me too! But that was by far and away the most stable and planted set up.

After that would come the Navarra (far more solid, stable and much lower centre of gravity than the disco), then the LWB van (absolute beast of an engine :twisted: ) and then the Disco.
Admitedly the Passat couldn't legally have towed the cx (too heavy) so the Navarra would pip it on that ocassion.

My dad's 40 years of towing big heavy boats (think cabin cruiser size rather than mirror dinghy size...) says the same.

:? That's why it really would help if I had one of my CXs on the road :facepalm: Particularly the diesel estate, which is just perfect :roll: :evil:

Looking at pics, the trooper has a shorter overhang than the disco but is probably higher than a navarra, so I guess it would sit somewhere between the 2, probably closer to the navarra (depending on how squashy the suspension is)?

EDIT: I didn't include the low loader I also drove, cause that doesn't count :lol: but for the record, thirsty, less comfy, more noisy than any of the above and bum droppings to drive when empty - back bounces like a mo' fo' on the tiniest pimple! :lol: it was fun driving a lorry again though, especially in a city centre :twisted: :D

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 am

4x4 is literally to get into and out of the muddy fields I'll be dragged to with the ponies :lol: I would have another nice big volvo estate to tow if I could but once you see one person trying to get traction on a wet field with a trailer and pony onboard you realise why everyone drives 4 wheeldrives :x

That and I will defo be building my own greenlane round the outside edge of the woods when we purchase :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

I imagine the choice is quite small for vehicles that can actually tow a heavy weight so most people go with 4x4 to get more versatility out of the vehicle.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:39 am

Not tempted by a 4wd Volvo Estate? The XC70 comes with the D5 engine at 185bhp ;)
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:51 am

cant put 25 fence posts in the back and drive it up the hill....

Not and get anything back on it later on.. :lol:

I thing having locking difs will come in handy.

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”