Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

1985 Series 2 CX GTi Turbo (no.2)

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

1985 Series 2 CX GTi Turbo (no.2)

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:57 pm

I have 2 of these; same model, same year, same spec - this is the second CX I aquired, but the first I actually bought (the first I inherited from my dad).

It has some 'interest' value in that it's the earliest Series 2 (facelift) CX known in the country by quite some way (and that was 20 years ago, when they were still plentiful). The build date of the car is from when they were still building the series 1 CXs (pre-facelift). I bought it because my first CX went off the road awaiting restoration (which it still is, 17 years later :lol: ) think it cost me about £550 complete with tax and MOT. Drivers door was either badly rusty or stoved in (I forget which) passenger door lock was broken where some rhubarb had screwdrivered it (still is) bonnet was rusty on one edge and I think it had crappy cheaper Avon's on instead of the proper (expensive) Michelin's (£110 versus £185 at the time). It had also had a smack up the passenger side arse as well I think, because I reckon I can see where a replacement rear quarter panel has been cut in around.

It had suspect charging under the previous owner if I remember correctly, which was why he had added in an LED voltage display system. It looked cool, so I kept that :lol: drivers door was replaced with another off a red car, with a cheap blow over job to make it look presentable, sorted out the interior etc and then had plenty more 'fun' with it while I drove it through my last year of Uni and into my first job (yes, I ran a thirsty, maintenance hungry 2.5 turbo executive saloon during a year and a half of uni :lol: :roll: )

Ok, so enough of the :yawn: facts onto the pics;
Image[/URL]
It has the wrong grille and the wrong headlights for a series 2 car (should be a slatted colour coded grille rather than a black cheese-grater style and should have the horrendously expensive twin-optic headlights instead of the ordinary single optic). Whether that's 'as built' because it was built early, or whether they were fitted later I don't know.
:oops: a :yawn: fact crept back again!

The lump
2.5l push rod petrol turbocharged, Bosch J-Jetronic fuel injection, AEI electronic igntion.

Air horns, the AEI ECU and some of the wiring looms I had to replace due to age/copper corrosion

The inlet hose had a habit of popping off the turbo on this one, exactly like it has done here all by itself!!! :lol:

:cry:
Another one that hasn't been on the road for 10 years

Black interiors, in a dark garage, on a dark day, don't photograph well :lol: But it is sooooo nice and comfy and cossetting and luxurious feeling in there. A lovely place to be :D

So we try and start it...
Not quite the dash of a lude, but still lots of nice digital displays 8-) and a trip computer! :D :hail: (I was genuinely amazed I remembered the code to set it up, it just suddenly came to me - you'll notice the display goes from Opt= to showing the clock)

Annoyingly, it was unsuccesful. Half an hour of trying later and I gave up. It has classic symptoms of 'big blue' failure (think: main relay in lude terms) but I have 3 of them and swapping them about didn't help :evil:. Maybe it just needs more fuel, it still says the tank is empty, even though I chucked a gallon in it? Or maybe the stuff in the lines has gone off... I dunno, but I ran out of light to investigate further, so I'll go back again maybe next weekend and have another poke about.

So after all that drokking about trying to start it, at least I'd manage to achieve pumping the front suspension up with the starter motor :lol:
And no leaks yet! :o :clap: (let's see what the back brings... :evil: )

hondansxr
My Generation: 5G

Post by hondansxr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:51 pm

these were brill to drive in their day has it got the butcher scales digital read out dash ? :D

wurlycorner

Re: 1985 Series 2 CX GTi Turbo (no.2)

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:13 pm

This has got as digital as they got, because it's got the full trip computer setup.

:facepalm: I meant to go and play with all my CXs Turbo's over christmas, but ended up doing nothing with any of them! :(

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:48 pm

I do like these man. Never owned one, or even been in one, but my desire to do so is growing with all these posts 8-)
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:00 pm

With relocation looming (hopefully :scaredtoss:) I went and had another play with this one today.

A gallon of fresh petrol, some arsing about with the fuel relay whilst Lisa put the ignition on and off so I could feel what it was/wasn't doing and... Well I don't know which of those it was (fresh petrol, relay fiddling, or a womans touch) but it started :D It caught me so much by surprise that I wasn't even videoing it at the time (because I didn't expect it to go :lol: ). Running on 3 for some reason, but still idled ok and rose up straight away (hydraulics on this one have always been good) :D

I stood back to admire my brilliance ( :| :tosser: :lol: ) but then, you remember me saying this?
wurlycorner wrote:And no leaks yet! (let's see what the back brings... )

Well...

There is a slight weep from the back, which means a return line is leaking (no surprise and no big problem) but then it suddenly repayed me by a cloud of atomised LHM emerging from the front of the engine bay :roll:

drokking pipe with a pin-hole fracture. I opened the regulator bleed valve so I could at least run the engine, but it's the pipe from the feed out of the main accumulator into the brake accumulator, so even with the bleed valve open it still has a small amount of pressure in it (doesn't atomise but squirts out).

Front pipe of these 3, just behind the union. Typical really, pretty much all the other pipes at the front of this car have previously been replaced, but this one had limped on!

You can see it in this video. Excuse the arsing about in the middle, that was me have a quick attempt at sussing out why it was only running on 3 (the broken wires are supressors on the coils).

Bloody thing was seized solid, so the whole assembly had to come out;
Yep, that's seen better days! :lol:

So now I have to try and seperate them on a bench (not that I have one!).

Even asumming they're still available new (that Citroen haven't just binned them all like they have with Xantia spares :evil: ) I'll probably buy a pipe flaring tool and the bits to make one up myself instead - it's not like I don't have enough cars to use it on in the future! :lol:

So packed up ready for when I go back with a new pipe
(yes, that's a spare rocking horse rust free bonnet 8-) )
Last edited by wurlycorner on Sat May 17, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:17 pm

I'm amazed you manage to pull these things apart so easily 8-)
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:35 pm

:? They certainly don't always...
I have had a bit of practise over the years though! :lol:

Doggo
Court Jester
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: FfyreDog

Post by Doggo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:17 am

But it lives! 8-) :)

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:02 pm

I like coming home to packages like these... 8-)

It almost makes me forget about standing in cat sick with only socks on! :?

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”