Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

oil leak

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
kpnutty
My Generation: 5G

oil leak

Post by kpnutty » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:00 am

hi guys, quick question. i am in no way a mechanic and have very little knowlede of how a car works but i have always loved g5 ludes and have owned several. i just bought a g5 2.2 vti triptonic with 79,000 miles for £450 becuase the car would not start, the exterior is absolutely mint! it was owned by an old guy (roughly 80) who has owned it since new and has full m.o.t passes with very few advisories and full service history from honda. the owner never drove it in winter and kept it in a "plastic bubble in his garage". usual advisories consist of deteriorated headlights and tyres. the car would try its best to start but would never quite get there, i nipped up to my local scrap dealer n they suggested trying to replace the distributor as this seems to be a common fault. in my naivity i proceeded to remove the entire thing from the side of the engine but when i tried to fit it to my car it seemed to have different fixing points/braket n i could not get it to fit. i took it apart and found a smal electric coil inside it. i took the coil out and replaced it for mine. ( it seemed to fit perfectly) and the car seems to run perfectly now! it drives beautifully and is the best conditon lude i have ever owned. it is dark blue with full red half leather interior with prelude stitched into the seats and the car has absolutely no dents and no rust whatsoever it really is totally mint!. have i just bodged a fix? or is this normal? also if i were to sell the car what would it be worth? it's a 2001 plate dark blue with standars alloys and half leather interior. it has 4ws and everthing works, it has 10 months mot

rob quilter
Supporter 2014
PSN GamerTag: robquilter

Post by rob quilter » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:39 am

You got some rare seats there by the sounds of it!
PERFORMANCE PARTS FOR JAPANESE CARS - http://WWW.TOKYOSQUAD.COM

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK - http://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/TOKYOSQUAD

mart609
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: mart609
PSN GamerTag: mart609

Post by mart609 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 am

The coil in the Dizzy is the common thing to go. so job done by the looks of it :)
At the end of the day its worth what people are willing to pay for it.
The title says oil leak, but havn't mentioned it in your post.

kpnutty

Post by kpnutty » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:26 am

Ok that's great thanks! Don't really want an auto although its a nice car :) umm I actually started this thread a week ago because of a small oil leak from behind the oil filter but I managed to fix it by changing a deteriorated gasket n then when I posted the thread I forgot to change the title

rob quilter
Supporter 2014
PSN GamerTag: robquilter

Post by rob quilter » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:27 am

Get some pics up of your seats, not seen red seats with 'Prelude' stitched into them.
PERFORMANCE PARTS FOR JAPANESE CARS - http://WWW.TOKYOSQUAD.COM

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK - http://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/TOKYOSQUAD

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:11 am

Sounds like a great buy - very cheap at that price for those low miles and rust free.
Not so much take for the auto's though, as you say.

Pics would definitely help this thread.

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”