Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

1999 Mk5 2.2 Vti auto in need of love, in south Scotland

Selling a car? Stick it in this section
MrKingdom
My Generation: 5G

1999 Mk5 2.2 Vti auto in need of love, in south Scotland

Post by MrKingdom » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:14 pm

5th gen Honda Prelude in need of repair. £300 o.n.o.

This is a 1999 2.2 VTI VTEC H22A5 BB8 semi-automatic. It's the second Prelude I have owned so I know how great they are and I'd love to keep and restore this car but, unfortunately, the funds available to me dictate otherwise. Knowing that Preludes are getting more and more rare, I want to give this one a chance to live a bit longer!

Good points:
Factory fitted body kit; a reliable engine, original & unmodified, that has done just less than 132,000 miles. New distributor fitted in last 6 months, previous owner fitted a stainless steel exhaust. Vtec kicks in when it should, the cruise control is working and the sunroof has no leaks. Interior in great condition. Clifford alarm fitted & working too. It was serviced by a local garage in April and has an MOT until January 2017.

Bad points:
The automatic gearbox is slowly dying, it erratically engages gears, and there is a small leak in the petrol tank. It needs new front discs and pads, and front wheel alignment. The power steering fluid pipes had corroded so were replaced earlier this year. Unfortunately, the 4 wheel steer sensor on the front axle was also found to be faulty so now the 4WS light on the dash stays on. Left hand passenger window stuck. Usual rust on both rear arches, kerb damage to 17" Accord alloys.

That sounds like a lot of faults but basically the engine, electrics, chassis and shell are in good condition for age.

Service and recent repairs:
In January 2016 it had new handbrake cables fitted, two new rear drop links, two new rear brake clippers and two front drop links too. Offside rear wheel bearing was replaced in April 2016. New distributor purchased on eBay at cost of £130 and replaced around April too. New battery fitted in last 12 months.

Car located near Cumnock, Ayrshire approx. 35 miles south of Glasgow. I have MOT certificates dating from 2008, some receipts going back that far too, and the full V5C and two keys. Looking for £300 o.n.o.. I am selling this in one piece as I have no time to break for parts, so I would be willing to drive this to the buyer at a cost of 50p / mile to cover my petrol and return ticket. This would need to be paid in advance of delivery. It still has road tax and insurance so this might be the safest option unless you want to take it away by trailer. Even if it breaks down on route, I an an AA member so it'll get to its destination one way or another!

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:39 pm

Shame about the arch rust (which is still repairable of course) otherwise all the other problems are minor/easy fixes tbh so easily worth sorting.
(OK, gearbox would sound like a nightmare for most people Tbf - but just a manual conversion kit away from problem gone forever :D )

GJMHONDA2012
LotM Winner

Post by GJMHONDA2012 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Wish I had spare cash :(

MrKingdom

Post by MrKingdom » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:37 am

GJMHONDA2012 wrote:Wish I had spare cash :(
Me too!

MrKingdom

Post by MrKingdom » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Looking like I'll be putting it on eBay next week to widen the net.

MrKingdom

Post by MrKingdom » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Spoke too soon. It's sold.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Oooh, well glad it's sold on here.
Anyone we know?

MrKingdom

Post by MrKingdom » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:02 pm

wurlycorner wrote:Oooh, well glad it's sold on here.
Anyone we know?
Newkid has kindly given it a new home. Hopefully, a new lease of life too!

newkid
Supporter 2016
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:17 pm

MrKingdom wrote:
wurlycorner wrote:Oooh, well glad it's sold on here.
Anyone we know?
Newkid has kindly given it a new home. Hopefully, a new lease of life too!
Just as I feared. Rust has over taking the rear end of the car. Outer arches as you can see as per pics. Inner arches. Rear jacking points. Not yet looked at sills but I'm not holding my breath.

I advise anyone looking at buying a 5th gen to put there fingers up into the inner arch near the outer arch and give it a good press. Chances are it's rotten to the core. I'll get some pics up to show but I'd say it's to far gone to save with the gearbox issues as well. Saving grace is some new/decent parts that can be saved to help others out.

Return to “Cars for sale”