Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

VSS unit/sensor????

Engine/Gearbox questions and discussion
Archie Roku
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: Archie Roku

VSS unit/sensor????

Post by Archie Roku » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Hey! Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm currently stripping down the gearbox to drop so I can change my clutch. The first time i've done it on a H22, In fact its the first time period. BUT when I removed the VSS sensor I noticed it felt slightly loose. After taking the VSS sensor off with the little pin, I realised it was the part the VSS sensor mounts to that was loose. So here is the culprit

I've no idea how this would have happened, but maybe that explains the strange readings I was getting from the speedo??

So my question is, what is the correct name/part number for this if anyone knows it as I have a feeling It may be important :think:

Archie Roku
Supporter 2016

Post by Archie Roku » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:10 pm

And what do the two pipes connect to?? as that is how I found it..... I've been finding a few strange things as I've been poking around.

Metalhead
My Generation: 3G

Post by Metalhead » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:16 pm

That's the body of the speedo gear mount. I have no idea how that might have sheared like that. Maybe it's weld-able but given the number of 4Gs that are being broken you shouldn't have too much trouble picking up a new gear unit. No wonder your speedo was all over the place - the cog would have been lifting out of the gearbox and dropping back in!

~Phil.
My 3rd Gen SE Manual Restoration and Preservation Project CLICK HERE

Metalhead

Post by Metalhead » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:16 pm

Two pipes are the send/return from the PAS. It lubricates the speedo gear mech

Archie Roku
Supporter 2016

Post by Archie Roku » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Ah top man! thank you for the quick reply. But indeed that is what I was thinking regarding the speedo. I could literally pull it up by a good 2-4mm at least!

And since I don't have PAS that explains why my pipes led to nothing! Thank you kind sir

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:46 am

Metalhead wrote:Two pipes are the send/return from the PAS. It lubricates the speedo gear mech
Not quite true... It's what provides the speed sensitivity to the power steering.

That's a pita having that snapped off. Hopefully you can pic one up from a breaker OK.

Archie Roku
Supporter 2016

Post by Archie Roku » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Ah interesting. But indeed, I'm still puzzled as to how it could have happened. Possibly when the PAS was taken out??

Fingers crossed I may have sorted one out

Metalhead

Post by Metalhead » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:35 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Metalhead wrote:Two pipes are the send/return from the PAS. It lubricates the speedo gear mech
Not quite true... It's what provides the speed sensitivity to the power steering.
Ahh - every day is a school day!!! :) Wondering if the lack of fluid is putting more strain on the gear assembly causing some friction and the mount to break? I'm not aware of any Prelude having a genuine 'manual' steering rack?

Return to “Engine / GearBox”