Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Steering Rack Boot Kit

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Max
My Generation: 5G

Steering Rack Boot Kit

Post by Max » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:56 pm

I have the correct one on the driver side but it has a big split in it, on the passenger side the boot isn't the right one as it has no nipple for the air line so i thought while everything is apart i may as well replace both...

But im having trouble finding these with the nipple on both boots without going to Honda, ive enquired with a couple of ebay sellers and they came back with only a nipple on one of the boots. I can find them for the 4th gen with both nipples but the boots seem to be equal lengths when im sure one should be longer than the other, plus i think the holes at each end are different diameters between 4th and 5th?

Yes i know im being a bit anal about this but does anyone know of a kit with the nipple on both sides in the correct oem sizes for a good price?

Original part numbers are 53534-SL4-J01 and 53534-S30-003

Cheers
Max

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon May 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Honda parts catalogue shows same boot both ends of the rack on a 4g, oem part number is 53534SL4J01

5g shows 2 different boots, as you say...
oem part number is 53534SL4J01 one end (number 11 above) and 53534S30003 the other (number 12 above).
So one end is the same as 4g, the other is different. No idea why/what the difference is.
On the end that doesn't have a nipple on the boot, does the breather pipe attach to the rack end itself, rather than the boot???

Max

Post by Max » Mon May 01, 2017 8:12 pm

I didnt realise one of them had the same part number as the 4G. Quite confusing because i assumed there were other differences such as the drive shaft hole diameter, when you have a look on ebay there are a lot of listings that show the dimensions and when you compare 4G and 5G they don't match but i guess we can trust Honda part numbers more than we can ebay diagrams!

As for the pipe i just went and had a look, impossible to tell as there are far too many things in the way to see or feel where exactly it goes, but digging further through the manual it looks like the pipe just runs across the top of the rack through some clips and onto both nipples :)

Craig_85

Post by Craig_85 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:42 pm

The nipples and the air line between the rack boots are to allow the air which is compressed from one side to move to the other one as it extends and vice versa when you steer the opposite way. If you have one then surely you should have one each end.

Max

Post by Max » Tue May 02, 2017 1:09 pm

I just spoke to Honda about this, they want £28 for one of them and £26 for the other but I just cant bring myself to pay that much, ill keep looking...

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Tue May 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Search eBay for steering gaiter, the're about £22 for both for the 5th gen.

Max

Post by Max » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Just to update this for others that might also go mad finding these in correct sizes with both sides having the air nipple...

To clarify the difference between 4th and 5th gens, 4th has identical boots either side whereas on the 5th the passenger side is about 30mm shorter than the driver side, thats it! :geek:

Not wanting to risk of getting the wrong ones and not wanting to pay Honda prices i asked several ebay sellers who sold the pair in the correct sizes if both boots they supplied had the air nipple, a few came back and said no, one refused to check. In the end i decided to take a risk and go for a well known good quality brand, in this case Moog, they happened to be on offer at Mister Auto for £10.86 + delivery.

When they turned up they were indeed top quality but guess what... no nipple on the driver side, so i ripped out the old one on the car which had the nipple intact, then drilled a hole in my new one and superglued it in, then to make double sure i put some sealant around it. It seems the entire aftermarket has the wrong spec for the 5th gen, it was either that or pay over £60 at Mr Honda :roll: :lol:

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”