Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Steering rack kaput.

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Steering rack kaput.

Post by simonc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:43 am

Morning all, yesterday I asked Jason to give the car an oil change and filter as well as changing the gearbox oil. At the same time, I asked him to look at the steering, as I feel it's too heavy.
I realise that 'heavy' is a relative term, but when I had the rear tints done late last year, the tint shop owner actually commented on it, saying he thought it felt pretty heavy as well.
Anyway, it's one of those things that's been forgotten about, but yesterday I asked Jason to flush the power steering system and refill it with proper Honda fluid, just in case that was a problem area.
After he'd done that, he called me and said the steering was still 'heavy', the cause being the steering rack having (I'm using his words here), "an internal leak".
So obviously we need to look for another over here, but I just wanted to clarify, do I need a 2WS rack or a 4WS rack (given I've had all the 4WS gubbins removed from my car)?
For the record, it's still driveable but now we know it's an issue, I'd like to get a new one fitted anyway.
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks fellas. ;) Si.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

newkid
Supporter 2016
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:52 am

4ws would need a 4ws rack as you've removed it any 4th gen rack will do.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 am

Morning newkid and thanks for that. So any Prelude '94 rack will fit my car then? ;)

newkid
Supporter 2016
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:53 am

Yes bud. 2.0, 2.2 an 2.3 all share the same racks. Only difference is if a 2ws rack or 4ws. Since you no longer have you can fit either rack.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:47 am

:hug: Ta buddy. I'll pass this on to Jason, and ask him to do his thang about getting one for me. I'll let you know how we're progressing as soon as I've heard. ;)
By the way, I've just spent an enjoyable hour or so not working, watching Eric The Car Guy replace the rack on a Civic. Dear me, what a palaver.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:28 am

simonc wrote:Dear me, what a palaver.
Not watched that one, but I know the car... It ended up having a second rack because the first exchange one was defective on fitment and 3 years later... He bought the car and the second rack had started to leak too.

I have to change the rack on Lisa's C2 soon... And that's a nightmare of a job - it's sandwiched between the front subframe and the shell, so massive strip down to get at it.

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 pm

ahhhh the joys of steering rack swaps , did one on my corrado that was a subframe down job to get it out, did it over a pit , nosed the car over the pit then jacked it up suppported the body on axle stands then used the pit jack to lower subframe down .
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”