Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Brake/Fuel/Power Steering Hardlines

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Jackson Bondy
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Jacksb4

Post by Jackson Bondy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:27 pm

Hi All,

The moneypit restoration project is increasing in size almost daily I think! Had a look at replacing the flexi hoses to the calipers and the hardlines look like they could do with replacing, plus the high pressure line to the power steering gearbox disintegrated when I was removing the rack.
Therefore I've decided to replace all the hardlines for the brakes, power steering and fuel lines too.

Since you can't buy any of these from Honda anymore, does anyone know how complicated it would be to make up my own? The OEM pipes are fairly complex, especially the routing from the ABS unit and the proportioning valve. I've looked online and for the cost of pipe, tools etc, I'm wondering if it'd be better to get some made up, does anyone have a ballpark idea of cost?

I was thinking for the power steering of just replacing the hardlines with a braided power steering line in the factory location and adding a small power steering cooler where the factory line runs out by the radiator.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:56 pm

Brake pipes are easy to make up yourself tbh using cupro-nickel pipe. You just need the right flaring tool and if you want to do a really neat job, a pipe straightener and bender as well (you can bend and straighten the pipe by hand, but it never goes exactly right).

Jackson Bondy
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Jacksb4

Post by Jackson Bondy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:44 am

Another skill to learn then! I will order some and see how I get on, thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know what internal diameter the pipes on a 5G are?
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”