Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Leaking rear caliper

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
chris_rd92
My Generation: 5G

Leaking rear caliper

Post by chris_rd92 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:25 pm

Will do mate, although the fitter was me so there is a high chance the fitted is to blame 😂

Scott560

Leaking rear caliper

Post by Scott560 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:56 pm

If you didn't replace both callipers, check that the pivot point is free/greased on the other sides calliper (the part where the cable links to the calliper handbrake arm). If not, it will get pulled at a funny angle, and prevent both callipers from being tensioned evenly.

I would have replaced both callipers as a matter of course myself but appreciate it starts to add up when everything is replaced in pairs or 4s.

I would also say not to drive it if there is any question over the brakes, and perhaps get some chocks. Leaking brake fluid may have contaminated the brake pads as well.

Thinking out loud, it might also have been worth screwing the piston back in on the other calliper, so that they both start from the same point. After many brake pedal presses and handbrake actuations, they should then auto adjust together with respect to the handbrake mechanism.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

toadster

Leaking rear caliper

Post by toadster » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:50 pm

chris_rd92 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:25 pm
Will do mate, although the fitter was me so there is a high chance the fitted is to blame 😂
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Leaking rear caliper

Post by Vtecmec » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:03 am

There is a specific procedure in the manual to reset the handbrake mechanism if you've been messing around with the rear callipers, take a look at that and maybe have a go at bleeding the system a second time for good measure.

chris_rd92

Leaking rear caliper

Post by chris_rd92 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:15 am

Thanks guys, I've been putting bricks under the wheels and leaving it in gear for the time being, but strangely the handbrake seems to be holding fine since the aforementioned event... I'll definitely get back under there and reset the caliper piston positions. I'm sure this has been asked a million times before, but done anyone have a link to the manual?

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Leaking rear caliper

Post by Vtecmec » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:27 am

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Leaking rear caliper

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:15 am

Just to note that I find that although the manual makes it sound like you only need to tighten/adjust the handbrake cable once, you actually have to continually adjust/tighten the handbrake cable over the first few miles of driving (and deliberately use just the handbrake to slow down) before you can then leave it. The rear brakes do so little work, that they take *ages* to bed in otherwise.

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”