Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Entire respray. How long does it take?

Oooooo .... shiny!
ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Post by ATR84 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:28 pm

Yes be very careful who you choose. The worst thing is when you have a car that has obviously been resprayed because the bodyshop did a crap job. My current 4th gen had the arches done about 3 years ago and you can't tell. On my previous car the passenger side doors had been resprayed and after a couple of years the paint started to sink into the filler, that's the other issue, a bad spray job may not show itself straight away.

bb1boy
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Wed May 06, 2015 7:28 pm

Full respray? I must have missed an update.. I thought your blue beauty already had great paint!

Doggo
Court Jester
PSN GamerTag: FfyreDog

Post by Doggo » Wed May 06, 2015 9:32 pm

bennyboy wrote:I have to say this is making me a bit nervous, after the issues you've had with 'workmanship' over there....
Took the words right out of my brain!

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed May 06, 2015 11:17 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:No. You need to go and ask them exactly what you want and price etc. They will tell you.
You can do a proper full respray in 3 days. A week is more realistic, 2 weeks is taking the body lemonade unless waiting for parts to arrive.
Ratty, I'm sorry, I know painting is your job and I have seen that you take real pride in it and do some.excellent quality work, but what you have given there is a very, very simplistic answer.
The time taken depends entirely on how many people they have working on the car, if it's their only job, how much work is involved in the respray (is it a straight respray, are there body repairs, are they doing the strip and rebuild). That might be what you meant to come across so apologies if I've misinterpreted, but in any case, no drokking way is a full respray including strip and rebuild, 3 days (even without any body repairs). Not to a good standard, unless you have loads of blokes on it and it is therefore costing you a fortune.

I'm now on my third prelude through a shop as a paying punter. In all cases it has been at mates rates and not their only job, but on that basis, if they'd done it in 3 days, I'd be wanting to know what the drokk they had done wrong.
Prior to that, some years before, I had a sol repaired (new wing, new bonnet, minor straightening to inner front arch etc) at a different place, not at mates rates and I supplied all materials up front except for paint). That was in a week.
A friend drove into a door on my sunny, that was repairable (end of door slightly bent, lower half of door resprayed and blended into adjacent wing and door) 2 days.
Neither I think was at all excessive.
Last edited by wurlycorner on Wed May 06, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed May 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Lude-dude wrote: last spray job took good 6 months, lots of excuses
:lol: 6 months is definitely taking the body lemonade , no argument there :lol:

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed May 06, 2015 11:52 pm

I stand by it. If seem full resprays done in 3 days.

If I compressed mine into hours. Mine took roughly 20 hours. It all depends on what they are doing.

MaccaIRL
XBOX GamerTag: MaccaIRL

Re: Entire respray. How long does it take?

Post by MaccaIRL » Thu May 07, 2015 12:16 am

Depends if its the same colour blow over or what.

Friend of mine had her car painted but it reacted with the shitty stuff underneathe so had to be a bare metal respray

That took near 2 months with the amount of stuff she wanted
Lude-behaviour!

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Thu May 07, 2015 1:14 am

Gentlemen thanks so much for this absolutely brilliant information. Magnificent stuff.
Now I am worried and it's time to talk turkey with these guys. However, there is one teensy-weensy problem insomuch that the the two guys who came to look and quote for it do not speak English and all the translation was done through Linda. To be frank, Linda knows even less about cars than I do so trying to ask her to ask them about primer, bumpers off and all that malarkey may have got muddled in the language ping-pong.
Benny, you're right. I'm actually petrified because of the record of complete drongos over here and think it's safe to assume that shoddy is the order of the day. The working man's mantra here is not 'How can I do I my best?', it's 'What can I get away with?
Okay, I've got some really valuable info here which is very helpful, especially about the previous clients. That's a great idea to ask them.
Thanks again guys, I'll update you asap on my next move.
;)
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

MaccaIRL
XBOX GamerTag: MaccaIRL

Re: Entire respray. How long does it take?

Post by MaccaIRL » Thu May 07, 2015 1:49 am

Ask to see some of his previous work

If hes a decent painter and can buff reasonably well youll see good results
Lude-behaviour!

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Fri May 08, 2015 9:00 am

Hi all, after careful consideration (and a written wake-up call from Bennyboy) I'm not going with these guys. I'm going over KL way on Monday to check out a guy and his workshop as my neighbour highly recommends him. Also, as I've seen what he's done to two of her cars, I reckon he's bloody good at what he does.
Thanks again guys for all the help, you've certainly stopped me from getting into another sad story.
I'll update you after I've met with the guy, heard what he's got to say and had a gander at his facilities. ;)
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”