Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Sunroof - I definitely need a new one

Oooooo .... shiny!
simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Sunroof - I definitely need a new one

Post by simonc » Thu May 14, 2015 5:24 am

Hi Gents,
Well, I've put it off for long enough but now the situation has gotten pretty bad. The sunroof on my car is rusting quite substantially (leading edge front and sides) with obvious bubbles now showing. The paint is still on but I guess it won't be long before it bubbles up enough to break through the paint. Also, I can see the rubber seal is being forced up in a number of places so the roof is not sitting perfectly flush. The biggest worry is on the inside leading edge right above my head. The metal inside the seal is horribly corroded, so much so that if I drag a cloth along it loads of flakes cascade onto the drivers seat.
Okay, so here's my dilemma.
A: Do I search for a proper metal one, bog standard (second hand) and fit that? (Anyone got one?)
B: Do I get one from Lings (although I've looked and worryingly it's 'not in stock' (whatever that means).
C: Do I fit a carbonfibre/glassfibre one. If so, where do I get one from?
D: Do I get a 5th Gen glass one and fit that? (I've seen it mentioned here but it needs a lot of skilled work - something in short supply out here).
E: Do I reuse the rubber seal or should I be looking to get one straight away?
Apologies for lack of photos, I'll take some tomorrow to show you but the bottom line is that it's got to go and replacing it is my only option.
Can I ask you gentlemen for direction on either of the above options (given Malaysian workmanship is not what you'd call high quality) to find the best solution as the rains here don't help the ongoing corrosion issues.
Thanks as ever for your time and thoughts, Simon.
Last edited by simonc on Thu May 28, 2015 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

paul bristol uk

Post by paul bristol uk » Thu May 14, 2015 7:27 am

Get a 5th gen glass one. It is easy to fit unless in my case the motor and runners were knackered. then it is more difficult but Vetecmec has an excellent how to on here. If the one you have works OK as I say it is a simple job and you could do that yourself.
I have kleptomania,
But when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Thu May 14, 2015 8:18 am

Hi Paul, I can confirm the mechanicals are all a-okay. The sunroof itself works fine it's just that the 'metal shell' thing is rotting itself to death.
However Paul, you are talking to a man that has trouble holding a screwdriver the right way let alone doing anything as complicated as that. I don't have the tools, the wherewith all nor the cojones to attempt it. :oops:
That's why the glass roof is a lovely option but I don't know who to trust here to do it. I tell you mate, I'd end up with the world's only convertible Prelude once some of these dimwits have attempted it. :(

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Thu May 14, 2015 8:38 am

If you decide to stick with the oem metal roofs, it is possible to find rust free sunroofs (i've found 2 previously and have one spare in the shed - not for sale I must add, that's my future proofing!) but not the easiest thing to package up for freight across the world. It would need a proper wooden crate to ensure it didn't get damaged I think?

Depending in the condition of your seal you should be ok to re-use it. I've not had to buy a new one yet, after re-furbing 2 roofs to date. The important thing is to make sure the old seal is properly cleaned out of any rust and dirt before refitting. And when refitting, make sure you get a clean line of PU sealant into the bottom of the seal all the way around, before offering it up to the panel, as it describes in the manual. I think this is the key to what stops them rusting in the first place, otherwise water seeps down around the seal and gets drawn into the seam of the 2 skins (that sits in the bottom of the rubber seal).

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Thu May 14, 2015 9:04 am

Hi Iain and thanks for the advice on the seal. (You're such a tease on that one laying around doing nowt!)
I've just sent an email to Lings to see what they come back with. It's bloody expensive but unless someone here has got one then it looks like an option I have to explore.
Are you sure I can't hose you down with money for that roof in your garage Iain? :hail:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Thu May 14, 2015 11:58 am

Lol fraid not, I have one roof for 2 sunroof fitted cars in the family, so it's going no where :D If I found another you could have it. Ask around on the forum though, others might also have some stashed that they are happy to part with.

Rather than buying through lings, you should just be able to order it from a Honda dealer in your country? If lings can get it, any Honda dealer can and the stock would be coming from Asia anyway!

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Mon May 18, 2015 12:20 am

Morning Iain, yes you're right. Lings did write and say it'd be coming from Japan so perhaps I should do as you say. Thanks. :)

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”