Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Rattle can paint job... HEEELLLPPP

Oooooo .... shiny!
RattyMcClelland
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:55 pm

Honestly dont sand back the base coat. If the base coat isn't smooth then the spraying isn't being done right or the actual paint is cheap.

In all the years iv been a professional painter, I have never done it being with a spray gun or rattle can.

But yes lacquer needs to be laid on thick. 2 thick coats. But 1k lacquer is pure pants material. Never keeps its shine.

RebekahClydesdale

Post by RebekahClydesdale » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Iv got it sorted now! Been a ducking long process! Yeh the paint was jobby and the nozzles were even shitter so I had no option but to sand the base coat unfortunately. But it's looking pretty damn sweet now, and so it should the amount of time it's taken. Just to wait a good few days and get the cutting compound on it.

RebekahClydesdale

Post by RebekahClydesdale » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:01 pm

akiragost wrote:I've done lots of diys in the past and even bought a smallish compressor and gun to spray in the end I'm no professional but the trick to a nice shine have a smooth finish which u are doing correctly with all the sanding and the final coat of laquer needs to be a really heavy layer, to the point it's about to drip but not quite, it's quite tricky tho, have some practice though.

Yeh iv got the lacquer mastered finally. It's came up brill. And no orange peel at all because I sanded the colour after each coat.

akiragost
LotM Winner

Post by akiragost » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:41 am

Let's see a pic!

RebekahClydesdale

Post by RebekahClydesdale » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Il get some pics once I'm home.
Lip kit came out ace, since I then knew not to sand the colour coat but the quarter isn't looking so great now. Iv left it a week to cure and going to get some 3000 grit to it and see if that helps.
It's just looking a bit dull and the colour match isn't great!
I'm hoping I'm not going to have to start again but it's looking likely.

RebekahClydesdale

Post by RebekahClydesdale » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Here's some pics. Still haven't sanded or compounded.

forgot to mention I think halfords either mixed my paint wrong or it wasn't pearlescent.
I used halfords paint for the quarter, but ran out half way through the lip kit and got more paint from autosave, who charged almost double, as you can see from this pic they are totally different colours and the kit (using autosave paint) has came out perfect match and even though I haven't touched the clear coat it's super shiny!

3rd_gen_Aaron
My Generation: 3G

Post by 3rd_gen_Aaron » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Halfords colour match is rubbish and the nozzles are also horrible, I would always use a proper paint supplier now.

RebekahClydesdale

Post by RebekahClydesdale » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:04 pm

3rd_gen_Aaron wrote:Halfords colour match is rubbish and the nozzles are also horrible, I would always use a proper paint supplier now.
Yeh I think iv learnt the hard way now. Autosave tins spray was amazing compared to halfords, every tin I bought from there seemed to have a different nozzle! The spray was horrendous. looks like it's going to have to be re done! I have spent more on paint that what the bloody car cost almost!! :(

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:33 pm

Well done for sticking with it 8-)

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:35 pm

If I was closer I would have blended the colour and lacquered it up for you.

Going to loch Ness on the 15th October though. See some creatures in the loch.

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”