Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Engine degreaser

Oooooo .... shiny!
wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:19 pm

Something like £18 for 5 litres, iirc.

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:20 pm

I used Screwfix's finest non-brand name degreaser in the end and tested it on Laura's MR2 :twisted: Seems to have worked fine, nothing that I could get to with my brushes has dirt or grease on it any longer, and even the areas I didn't agitate were improved - it's quite nice to be able to open fuse boxes/dip the oil etc. without having to wash your hands afterwards 8-) Now I just need to sort out the manifolds, heat shields, brackets and so on and so forth as they're all pretty corroded :(

For reference, here is the MR2 bay before being cleaned:

And here it is afterwards:

Hopefully you can see that the layer of dirt/oil mixture has shifted from everything.

Pumped from the success I cleaned the Civic too, but ran out of light in the process...

Before:

After:

To get an idea of what was shifted, the passenger side of the rocker cover and the P/S reservoir are quite good reference points. You'll also see I shifted some paint from the rocker cover also :lol: That only happened in places where the paint had already lifted away from the surface though, the water persuaded it off.

Once again, there's loads of stuff the needs repainting to make it look smart, but at least it should make working in the engine bay a more pleasant experience :)

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:44 am

Marked improvement, well done.

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”