Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Classic car restorers for underbody work?

Oooooo .... shiny!
wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:42 pm

That's a lot of money to spend on the car, yep.
If you're spending that amount of dosh, you need to be comfortable that you're getting a top notch job.
I would note though, that 3g's a very complicated chassis construction (much more so than a 4g) and the sills do rot from the inside out. Have a look at some of the pics of the white one that I broke and cut up (link in my signature).
EDIT: :think: nope I haven't posted the pics up there... :think: where the hell did I post them???

3rd_gen_Aaron
My Generation: 3G

Post by 3rd_gen_Aaron » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:13 pm

I had a look through your post the other day and realised that there are three compartments to the sills. Hopefully I can get the car back in a few days...

Are you sure you don't want to sell the green one?? ;)

3rd_gen_Aaron

Post by 3rd_gen_Aaron » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:06 pm

Well I picked up the car today and have the photos

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/aaronb ... t=3&page=1

The arches and sills are much worse than I realised. I suppose a lot of it would be dependant on how corroded the inner sill were. :?

Rudelude
My Generation: 5G

Post by Rudelude » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:03 pm

That looks like a hell of a lot of work.... Maybe U could find one in less corroded condition.... I know they are increasingly rare..... And it's a hard task...

I thought I spent a lot on mine restoring it, and even then I dint know how bad the rust was when I bought some 12 months ago...

Had I known the rust was as bad and as costly.... Would I do it again, YES.....

The workshop has given me a 10 year guarantee on the sills not rusting that have been replaced and other rust areas that have been treated.

This is something U do with your heart rather than your head... I could have bought a dc5 type R pre facelift for the amount of money thrown at my Lude... But it wouldn't be a lude... I hope whatever you choose to do works out.. Your money Your choice.
1997 Type S, Pearl White
Rust Free & Mugen Goodness

3rd_gen_Aaron

Post by 3rd_gen_Aaron » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:49 pm

I looked at the car tonight after work, the inner arches mainly seem ok. There is a lot of rot up to the toe arm after that it looks solid. The outer is pretty buggered though.

I felt the inner sill through a hole a I could feel the wax coating so I am hoping its good inside. It wouldn't be too bad if you could get the panels.

Return to “Body Work / Detailing”