Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4G cutting out then will restart after 5-10mins

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:32 am

The wiring diagrams are all in the oem service manual, which can downloaded for free online (check the wiki for links to it). There are also 3 supplements for the 4g service manual, for later model years so check those for any updated diagrams for your car.

Dino

Post by Dino » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Sounds like the old under dash relay problem.

Basically one of the solders is likely to have split. When car interior gets warm the solder breaks contact hence car not starting. When it cools down, solder reconnects. Simple fix really.

Penfold175

Post by Penfold175 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks Wurlycorner I'll look those up at the weekend.

Dino - do you mean the main relay as I thought that so had replaced it with a new one from Honda and have managed to restart the car by pulling this out and reconnecting again but need to prove it before I take it back

Penfold175

Re: 4G cutting out then will restart after 5-10mins

Post by Penfold175 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:13 am

Progress so far:
Main relay pulled doesn't cut out the clocks, so looks like that should be fine as was replaced with genuine Honda one last month.
Looking at the wiring diagram from the service manual looks like the ignition switch or connection within it is possibly faulty (although can't replicate the fault through wiggling the keys like is often found with the 5th GENs) or possibly an associated earth.
More investigation to follow.........

Penfold175

Post by Penfold175 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Update, intermittent fault has finally turned into permanent fault. Got power to ignition switch which in turn is getting power to under dash fusebox but no power at the fuses needed to start the car. Looks like the fusebox needs to come out for investigation

rrobis

Re: 4G cutting out then will restart after 5-10mins

Post by rrobis » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Penfold175 wrote:Update, intermittent fault has finally turned into permanent fault. Got power to ignition switch which in turn is getting power to under dash fusebox but no power at the fuses needed to start the car. Looks like the fusebox needs to come out for investigation
Had similar issue. In the end it was the underdash fusebox itself. Swapped out and issue was gone
4gen Prelude JDM H22A LSD Accord CM1 Type-F
Image Image
Sortaflush. offset is something

Penfold175

Post by Penfold175 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Bit of an epic to get out though, just got it out and tested it and it appears fine, retested the feed and it's switching in and out so now tracing the wiring back to see if there is anything in the circuit, this is getting very frustrating.

Penfold175

Post by Penfold175 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Update: traced wires back and it appears to be the immobiliser, chopped out some of it and got my dash lights back then chopped out another and got the starter working but it won't run so guessing there is still something affecting the fuel pump or main relay, but had enough today.

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:21 pm

hi glad your getting somewhere i was wondering if you had any form of aftermarket alarm / immobiliser fitted i have had similar issues with immobiliser wiring on cars and trucks it seems the so called experts that fit these splice into circuits that carry to much current for the immobiliser to handle so they are ok at the start but breakdown after a while when the circuits warm up , my lude had an alarm in it when i first got it needless to say its not fitted anymore cause less face it who reacts to a car alarm going off anyway :lol: :lol:
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

Penfold175

Post by Penfold175 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:16 pm

Cheers, seems to be the issue although had the car about 14 years with no real issues till now.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”