Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

How to Rewire 4th Gen Rear Window Light?

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
Bludge
My Generation: 4G

Post by Bludge » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:16 pm

just done this and im getting power to the lights ok, but its not shining through the logo. were there different types? like a transparent one and a non-transparent one?

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:42 pm

So you have power to the lights, but... Are the bulbs blown and is there an earth on the other side of them?

BlackShadow
My Generation: 5G
Location: Whitby. Not THAT Whitby, the other Whitby, the one in Durham. Not THAT Durham, the other Durham.

Post by BlackShadow » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Bludge wrote:just done this and im getting power to the lights ok, but its not shining through the logo. were there different types? like a transparent one and a non-transparent one?
Yes, there are two different types. They both look the same, except one is transparent, and the other is solid. When I was buying mine, I nearly pulled the trigger on one that didn't light up. After studying pictures, I found that the non-illuminated units retained the red lens, under the "Prelude" card. You can see a glimpse of this at the top of the unit when it is uninstalled. See below:

Image Note the red lens visible across the top. Also the "Prelude" lettering appears solid green.

What lies beneath:

The "Prelude" logo on these is a solid block off card.

The illuminated unit looks almost identical, except, it has a translucent white lens. This can also be seen when the unit is uninstalled.

Note: no red lens visible.

Illuminated unit lens:

This is the transparent "Prelude" logo:

Note: you can clearly see the lens behind the lettering.

If you have a red lens, and cannot see the diffuser lens behind the lettering yours is the "block off" card.
1997 Prelude Base (wrecked)
1996 Prelude SR (sold)
1994 Subaru SVX LSi (Sold)

Current:
1999 Prelude Base (S-Spec build in progress)
1990 Nissan 300ZX (weee!)
2011 Ford CVPI (daily)
1957 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Mine had the blanking plate setup, so I removed the red filter and set to removing the stuff that stops the light getting through. At the start............

Halfway through using a spreader tool at 30 degrees and a sawing motion.

I repeated the sawing motion several times in many different directions, then finished off the last remnants with some 800’s wet and dry paper, leaving this…

I still have to fashion a white diffuser like the oem one, but that should not be too difficult.

Bludge

Post by Bludge » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:35 pm

so it would seem i have the red lensed one with the blanking plate. how does the plate attach? is it just stuck down? was thinking of modding it anyway so hoping i can get away with cutting my design on black vinyl and laying it over the red lense.

alinton

Post by alinton » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:59 am

Just to resurrect the thread as its germane to me at the moment!

My 4G has the spoiler brake light, and the plug for the Prelude light is there, and when fitted it comes in with the brake light. So the notion that they're disconnected when there's a spoiler light isn't necessarily correct.

Would be better for me to retire it with the tail lights I think, as a green brake light isn't useful!
---------------------
'96 BB4.

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:59 pm

wow loving them prelude lights has any one got a spare for sale
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

DaveyBa8
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: DaveyRocket172

Post by DaveyBa8 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:37 pm

I still need to wire mine up, so tell me this is it only meant to work when braking?

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:19 pm

it seems the light is wired into the sidelights and brake lights so must be on with both i am guessing at different brightness , but if i was you dont bother just sell it to me :lol:
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

DaveyBa8
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: DaveyRocket172

Post by DaveyBa8 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:33 pm

Can't be selling the rare JDM goodies :lol: you could always buy a sticker and shine a torch through it :lol:

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”