Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Passenger window only goes down and only from passenger swit

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
calstr1
My Generation: 5G

Passenger window only goes down and only from passenger swit

Post by calstr1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:03 am

Hi guys,

I'm very new here and very grateful to you guys as you are one of the reasons I bought my "wrecked" 5th gen lude back from my insurance company after the payout and got it fixed.

In short what had happened was some mongoloids broke into the car, tried to steal the thing and chiselled the ignition, car was sent to Honda who "fixed" the working passenger window and spent 3 months unsuccessfully trying to fix the ignition. Long story short, I now have the car, was fixed by a 3rd party for very cheap. Gave the car a mean clean and thought I would test the passenger window, nothing happened from the drivers side switch, so upon trying the passenger side, it went down and would not go up.

I have a very basic knowledge of electronics so my (probably wrong) diagnosis is that one of the wires that goes to the passenger switch from the driver's side (the purely blue wire looking from the passenger door side of things) isn't connected as down and up on the passenger switch both get +12v from 2 different wires, it allows the window to go down but not up, I've been able to jump the switch plug to get the window up so I know the motor/regulator works. I then went to test continuity between the passenger and driver door window switch plugs, but there is no crossover in colours used in wiring so I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

I was wondering/hoping that someone would have an alternate idea of what is wrong or how i could fix this so I can get this rectified. Any ideas are appreciated.

Cheers

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:34 am

Hi there
Great news that the car is still with you and (largely) sorted.
Would need to check the wiring diagrams for the 5g to be able to offer further advice on this problem. I'll try and do so later. However, if you got the window up by simply jumping the connections at the switch connector, then I would suspect it's the switch itself that's faulty (that's the only part of the circuit you had removed/bypassed).

calstr1
My Generation: 5G

Re:

Post by calstr1 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 pm

wurlycorner wrote:Hi there
Great news that the car is still with you and (largely) sorted.
Would need to check the wiring diagrams for the 5g to be able to offer further advice on this problem. I'll try and do so later. However, if you got the window up by simply jumping the connections at the switch connector, then I would suspect it's the switch itself that's faulty (that's the only part of the circuit you had removed/bypassed).
Cheers mate that was my initial assumption too. I took the switch apart and cleaned it. But based on the wiring diagram for the switch it uses 2 different 12v rails, I know that the blue and yellow 12v wire comes from the driver's door, as I believe that the solid blue does too, from my very limited understanding both these allow the driver's door to operate the passenger window, I jumped it up by using the alternate 12v rail that works.

Cheers for the reply I'm very grateful as I've finished uni and haven't yet found a job so would rather do it myself.

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”