Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

White F reg 3g pre-face B20A7 4WS auto breaking

Whole cars being destroyed so that others may live

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat May 30, 2015 9:27 pm

Word of warning to 3g owners as to what might be lurking under your battery tray.
The rust is very bad (this was after I'd vacuumed it all clean)

But I was also very very unimpressed with the main battery earth.
It's pretty thin gauge and the connection to the gearbox isn't great, but what I was really not keen on was the way it was bent up and splayed out, sandwiched between the underside of the battery tray and the ALB reservoir regulator*

*what I assume it to be without looking in the manual

mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Sat May 30, 2015 10:48 pm

yeah my blue one is worse than that
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:50 pm

B20A7 engine.

It' not for sale, I just wanted to say... An arse to get out :evil:

It's a PITA that get the engine out, you have to dismantle the gearbox mount in stages, which to get to, you have to remove the ALB reservoir, which to get to, you have to remove the ALB pump, which to get to, you have to remove the battery tray bracket, which to get to, you have to remove the battery tray...

But then you find that a complete knobend designed the power steering pipes...

Starts at the pump on the front right of the engine, goes left across the front of the engine, over the top of the gearbox, then right across the back of the engine, then down to the front of the rear subframe, then along the subframe, under fuel and brake pipework, over the top of the subframe towards the back, under another power steering pipe and then down the back of the subframe and then forward under the subframe (so it's wrapped round it) into the rack...
And it's ALL ONE drokking PIECE! :troll: :roll: :tosser:
It is not possible to get the pipe out in once without in some way bending and mangling it.
No.2 on there (but note that main image is for a LHD model, add on the longest bit of pipework in the inset bottom right to get the full length of the one piece) :x

The only good thing about getting that engine out, is that the slam panel unbolts/can be completely removed
Image that makes it easy to get the engine out of the bay once you've cleared the subframe.

prelude91
My Generation: 0G

Post by prelude91 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:17 am

Mammoth task, I'd never take that on, nice clean engine, though.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:52 am

It's just incredibly awkward.
One of those bell end gentleman's sausage ups that's come about because they assemble the engine and all ancillaries on the subframes in one lump and then left it up into the chassis from underneath, rather than dropping the engine in from above and connecting up.
Design for manufacture, not design for maintenance :x

But yep, the engine is in great nick. Only a year since Cambelt change, too.

3rd_gen_Aaron
My Generation: 3G

Post by 3rd_gen_Aaron » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Do you have the head lining? Mine's marked and I would like to replace it. I also need the red cam from the ps res., the cap that hides the upper screw in the off side rear interior panel and a unmarked center console/head surround. If the liner is available I would come and collect.

With reference to awkwardness, the vss and alternator belt tensioner has been the worst thing that I have come across.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Yep, the alternator belt tensioner was a total arse when I had to do that on my green one. Working totally blind :evil:
I gave up with the vss and decided the easiest way was to disconnect the Speedo cable from the back of the Speedo, feed it back through the firewall and leave it attached to the box :lol:

As for the parts:
Red cap from ps reservoir - check
Head lining - check (from what I recall, it is in good nick/unmarked/just needs a clean)
Not sure what cap/screw you are refering to... Pic or linky to lings parts diagram?
:think: centre console/head surround? Nope, also a bit lost there (it may be the hour and what a long day I've had...)

Can you elaborate on those bits and then I'm sure we can sort you out...

3rd_gen_Aaron
My Generation: 3G

Post by 3rd_gen_Aaron » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:01 pm

The center console (or what ever you want to call it) is part 6 Image.

The bung I'm looking for is part 12 Image

Would you be able to get a picture of the headlining? as the colour could be different?

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:18 pm

Oh, yep, I have the centre console and it was removed intact. I wasn't planning on keeping it though, so I'll have to check it didn't get chucked in the back and damaged, or something.

Yep, I can get pics of the headlining and will check on the bung - pretty sure I will have it (not removed the rear panels yet).

Return to “Cars Breaking”