Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Powerflow Swindon or Redditch?

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Max
My Generation: 5G

Post by Max » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Right so i have decided to go with infinity exhausts, they quoted my £370 for the catback which i think is reasonable in terms of quality vs cost.

However i have a rattling noise that i strongly suspect is coming from the cat (i should really get under there and give it a smack to see if it rattles...) and the likelyhood is its falling apart inside and probably causing some restriction, im not convinced the engine is putting out as much power as it should and im fairly certain this is what holding it back, that plus im fairly certain the mid pipe is a hacked up 2" making things even worse. So i also asked how much it would be to replace the cat and they quoted me another 250, which goes in to the realm of cost i really didn't want to extend to. Following that i also asked how much they would decat it for and they said £50, now i didn't really want to decat it as it makes the car less sellable if i were to move it on...

So what do you guys think, should i just get the exhaust and decat or do you think there is another compromise to be had such as find a good condition UK cat (assuming a good JDM cat is hens teeth) and have that fitted while getting the exhaust built? If i could find one id fit it myself but that just wont work since i have the original JDM cat on there currently. Pros and cons what are the best options while keeping the cost down?

Max

Post by Max » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Ok i never even thought about checking ebay but it seems these aren't that hard to get hold of and £85 seems very reasonable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalytic-Con ... Swc~laFxts

Gayno
Lord Gayness
My Generation: 4G

Post by Gayno » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 pm

It's likely that you will fail emissions on the MOT without the cat, so not an avenue I would recommend.

There should be plenty of second hand units available.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Yes, on a 5g, unless you have a tame mot place, you will fail the mot without a cat.

For powerflow, the customer service getting it fitted, is all dependant on the local dealer.
When I contacted the main agent about my (very old) system and options for getting it repaired since the original dealer was no longer around, they were actually very helpful.

Max

Post by Max » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:51 am

Passing the MOT isn't a problem for me im just thinking ahead if i were to sell the car the new owner may not be so lucky, yeah im definitely not bothering with powerflow. Plan now is to replace the cat either way and it seems there a few options on ebay that measure up, that should save me a few quid if i fit it myself and then go get an exhaust built at infinity :)

Max

Post by Max » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Well it seems like the rattle is actually coming from the resonator on the mid pipe, and the cat looks like its been at the bottom of the sea for the last 20 years lol Measuring the temperatures front and rear it looks like the cat is blocked so ill be replacing it anyway, not looking forward to removing the secondary O2 sensor from it! The cat does appear to be the original at 26cm long so i should just about get away with an aftermarket 25.2cm cat...

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

Post by 4thgenphil » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:23 pm

That's not a secondary o2 sensor but in fact a cat over temp sensor that only JDM of preludes had. You can earth the sensor to get rid of the warning lamp of you remove it
:thumbdown:

Max

Post by Max » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:29 pm

I have to admit i did think it was odd that there was a secondary sensor, thanks Phil thats extremely helpful, if i end up breaking it ill just ground it as you said :D

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 pm

4thgenphil wrote:That's not a secondary o2 sensor but in fact a cat over temp sensor that only JDM of preludes had. You can earth the sensor to get rid of the warning lamp of you remove it
Awesome I honestly didn't know this could be done to remove, so just earth to the chassis?

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:35 pm

sol-lude wrote:
4thgenphil wrote:That's not a secondary o2 sensor but in fact a cat over temp sensor that only JDM of preludes had. You can earth the sensor to get rid of the warning lamp of you remove it
Awesome I honestly didn't know this could be done to remove, so just earth to the chassis?
Yep. Same on 4g and 5g's. Well documented on the forum (as in many members have done it).

Return to “General Chat”