Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Hello from a future owner - 2.0 vs. 2.2 advice?

New member? Introduce yourself here!
Feeniks
My Generation: 5G

Post by Feeniks » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:13 am

Thanks everyone! I'll put the votes together and see where we end up.. currently the 2.2 is definitely taking the lead – glad to see the difference in running and insurance cost isn't big after all, contrary to what I'd thought.

Please do keep casting your votes, people :)

RattyMcClelland wrote:Having owned both the 2.2 is essentially the same as a 2.0 below 5000rpm.
The 2.0 had a strong midrange from the single cam and very refined but the 2.2 is smoother. Costs were the same.

Where in notts are you?

Welcome.
I'm in Beeston. Thanks for the welcome!

sol-lude
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:03 am

My 1st lude was a 2.0 and i loved it dont get me wrong at 23 insurance and things were a thing to look at but actually from the Del Sol to the Lude wasnt much difference. I pretty much ran my 1st lude into the ground (rookie 40k and no service) poor thing :( but served me well. Regreted not keeping her.
After a few other cars i decided time had come for another Lude and i had to go all out, a 2.2 JDM 4WS TC Air Con etc etc import came in nearby and i was in a position to buy so i did...best thing i ever did...help from the guys on here got her up to where i wanted her ran a dream...that was until one of the seals went on the thermostat...however i have not broken her or wanted to i am now away to start the full rebuild and cannot wait to hear the engine pur again
I would say 2.2 was the definite winner

DAN_ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN_ADRIAN FLUX » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:00 pm

Hi,
When you're ready if you need any help with insurance for any model you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Welcome.

Are we talking 5th gen or 4th gen here?
If you're really not bothered about a slight reduction in grunt/excitement, then personally I would strongly suggest the 2.0 (or if you're looking at 4th gens a 2.3 - if you can find one, or a 2.2 non-vtec 5th gen)
The cars are much less expensive to buy than the vtec's.

Get some qlinsurance quotes and see how they come back and if the difference is enough to matter to you.
I would expect the 2.0 auto the be lowest, 2.3 auto next, then 2.2 non vtec (because these are imports) a 2.2 vtec (ukdm) next and a 2.2 vtec (import) most.

mart609
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: mart609
PSN GamerTag: mart609

Post by mart609 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:09 pm

Hi and welcome
As a learner and not passed your test yet... I'd get a few insurance quotes in, as even at 35 as a new driver I think your gonna find a 2.0i as your first car on the high side

Feeniks

Post by Feeniks » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:06 pm

Currently the votes are
5 in favour of 2.2
4 in favour of 2.0
1 suggesting Other

Interesting!
mart609 wrote:Hi and welcome
As a learner and not passed your test yet... I'd get a few insurance quotes in, as even at 35 as a new driver I think your gonna find a 2.0i as your first car on the high side
I'll get quotes as soon as I've passed, which will hopefully be four days from now...! Fingers crossed :shock:

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:02 pm

Also make sure you get a 4ws model, it's an amazing system that makes the car superior to any I've driven before.

P. S.. 4th gen all the way......

Andy1000
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Andy1000 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:35 pm

As I learner I would suggest 2.0 it will be a bit cheaper to insure
Must admit I have a 2.0 manuel and sometimes wish I had gone for a 2.2 instead
But in normal driving it is still a good car and seems to have enough oomph for me at present :?

toadster

Post by toadster » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:57 pm

Lo Matey :D
I have a 2.0i 5th Genner , had it 8 years now and I love it 8-)
It''s an Auto which I wasn't looking for to start with as I have heard bad things about them,but I have changed the oil a couple of times so nice and cherry red still 8-)
Only ever used tip mode twice :o prefere to stick it in drive and cruise :mrgreen:
I'm more of a cruiser than a racer so it's fine for me.
Great choice whatever you pick mate , enjoy ;)
Toadster

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:25 am

@Feeniks, hello fella and welcome along. Now obviously, I don't know the insurance issue you face but if there's one thing I can offer and it is this. There is nothing on earth as wonderful/satisfying/thrilling/exciting/sexy/ nerve tingling as kicking down your right foot and being a part of the engineering armageddon as your VTEC banshee howl works its voodoo.
I may little or nothing about how it all works, but my goodness, it is a rush par excellence and worth every penny extra you may be faced with.
The 2.2 is for you :D Buy it and may the Force be with you.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Return to “New Members”