Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

12v batt in driver's door?

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
alinton
My Generation: 4G

12v batt in driver's door?

Post by alinton » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 am

So is there a 12v +ve battery (i.e. constant) supply in the driver's door?

Need it to install a 3rd party remote central locking controller.

Ta

Andy
---------------------
'96 BB4.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:35 am

Nope, you will need to tap it and take into the door. Thick white wire in the ignition loom is the best source.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

alinton

Post by alinton » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Damn!

OK, do the common, lock and unlock wires appear inside the cabin anywhere accessible?

A
---------------------
'96 BB4.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Before I answer that, is your car JDM or UKDM, and if JDM, do you have the wee door lock toggle on the door near the window controls?
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

bb1boy
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:25 pm

...just to throw another idea out there - apparently it isn't difficult to make your power mirrors fold in and out with your central locking ;)

alinton

Post by alinton » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Now there's a good idea!

Yes it's JDM, with the door lock button on the driver's door.
---------------------
'96 BB4.

Confused

Post by Confused » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:15 pm

bb1boy wrote:...just to throw another idea out there - apparently it isn't difficult to make your power mirrors fold in and out with your central locking ;)
You simply need to run a wire from the "lock" and "unlock" signal wires (which are already in the door) to the signal wire from the press-button on the mirror switch.

The button on the mirror switch sends a signal to the mirror folding control unit (which is in the passenger door), this then applies power to the mirrors to open or close, and it just alternates each time this button is pressed.

Put a diode on each wire with the flow going from the lock/unlock towards the mirror fold, and then you're done.

Parts needed:
2 lengths of wire
2 diodes
soldering iron
about 15 minutes of your time

Tapping into the central locking on a 4th gen is very simple - you just need to find those lock/unlock signal wires, which will already run from the body to the door (as when you lock/unlock the drivers door, it simply sends a lock/unlock signal to the other door.

If you have the model with the mirror switches in the centre console, then you need some slightly longer bits of wire, as you can't do it all within the door, but you need to do it under the dash/centre console instead.

bb1boy
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:17 pm

Brilliant, thanks for that @Confused! Now all I need to do is make my central locking work (broken key)

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:25 pm

alinton wrote:So is there a 12v +ve battery (i.e. constant) supply in the driver's door?

Need it to install a 3rd party remote central locking controller.
Yes, there is. The white wire feeding into the central door locking control unit is a permanent live.

alinton

Post by alinton » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Understood Confused, pity that with my car the mirror button is in the centre console.

And thanks Wurly, will check that out!
---------------------
'96 BB4.

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”