Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4th Gen - Fitting JDM EL Dials in a Pre-Facelift JDM, help?

To clarify - that's In Car Entertainment - not frozen water
arif_manji
My Generation: 4G

Post by arif_manji » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:02 am

sol-lude wrote:Had a look at the wires and seems there are quite a number of wires that will need to be taken off the old loom and integrated into the new loom.
How did you get on bud? How many wires are we talking?
My Cars:
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 GR PRO
Addictions...
1996 4th Gen Honda Prelude 2.2i VTEC (UK Spec - Converted from a H23A)
1993 4th Gen Honda Prelude 2.2i VTEC Auto LSD (JDM)
Image Image Image

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:06 am

I'll have to get back to you on this I have started but didn't get any further over the weekend i'll be taking out the loom from my car and sit down with both and try and amalgamate the both of them...I will try and do a step by step whilst doing it. I only looked at one of the plugs that inserts into the fuel/temp section and there were a handful in that one. It will be more a patience and labelling job i'm afraid...ill need to tackle it before I take the engine out so I can pop battery back in to check.

arif_manji

Post by arif_manji » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:50 am

sol-lude wrote:Had a look at the wires and seems there are quite a number of wires that will need to be taken off the old loom and integrated into the new loom.
Ok mate - I'm going to make a start on it in a few weeks after it gets through the MOT, it needs new brakes and tyres which ill get done first. Keep me updated with your progress and any tips mate.
My Cars:
Addictions...
Image Image Image

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:51 pm

Oh god, this takes me back to doing it on my UKDM a couple of years ago (I still haven't done the full write up for that, but I think there is a partial write-up in my UKDM thread).

It was a pita to suss. I didn't have the donor loom, just cut-off pigtails from the El dials. Worse than that was that the oem wiring manuals had a couple of mistakes in for the EL dials (for some earth's, IIRC).

As for your question about transferring over individual wires from one loom to the other, yes this is entirely do-able - the connectors open up and you can then pull out individual pins. Again, I think I have some example pics of that in my UKDM thread (either on the EL dials update, or the folding mirrors update).

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 am

As a matter of interest, the EL dials have a different "dimmer" control unit. Here's a post I did a few years ago ...

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/electri ... t5301.html

arif_manji

Post by arif_manji » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Angus wrote:As a matter of interest, the EL dials have a different "dimmer" control unit. Here's a post I did a few years ago ...

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/electri ... t5301.html
Thanks for the info. My JDM pre-facelift doesn't even have a dimmer switch at all. The dash dims as soon as you switch on he parking/head lights.
My Cars:
Addictions...
Image Image Image

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:28 pm

as does mine, I did snatch the dimmer control unit so done with the garden...mostly and have new work place set up in the garage so will be able to tackle this soon. I want to do it before the engine comes out so I can test and in working order.

Greg-SiR
Supporter 2016

Post by Greg-SiR » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Happy to be seeing this thread as i am just on my to pick up an el cluster for my Bb2 but just a little lost on how much i need to take out of the dash of the donor car which is a facelift clear headlight model.

So definitely the silver box behind the drivers tweeter cover just stuck on how much of the loom along with it is needed behind it all.

Do i need the temp/fuel gauges or should mine work still being the older that dims slightly on lights turning on and how about the dimmer/Sunroof/cruise switch panel which has a funky on/off addition,my 92 JDM Bb2 has no options,its a very basic model,i just don't want to be running up the bill when i get there!

Just noticed the temp gauges has a VTEC!! light up too :lol:

95 Lighty Bb4

92 Bb2/4 Si Vtec daily slogger

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:24 am

It has a fan light as well. Both look pretty well done tbf
What's the after market on/off rocker switch next the steering wheel for?

And just to be clear... Manual dimmer control or no manual dimmer control, the dash lights on all 4g's dim when the side/headlights are switched on. The manual dimmer control is just additional control over the top of that.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:28 am

If you're going EL, get the dials (duh ;) :lol: ) the whole loom across the dash (and into the foot wells), the 'L' shaped dimmer box behind the fuel and temp gauges and any dimmer switch, and the silver box behind the tweeter on the drivers side. That should see you covered. 8-)
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Return to “Electrical / Lights / ICE”