Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Spare-O-Deck 1989

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:04 pm

That 76mm difference in the wheelbase is going to send the rear wheels right into the arch though isn't it?

becca
My Generation: 3G

Re: Spare-O-Deck 1989

Post by becca » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:13 am

NafemanNathan wrote:That 76mm difference in the wheelbase is going to send the rear wheels right into the arch though isn't it?
I'm hoping it can be lost in the front arches and just have them sit a little further back (as they're wider than the rear ones from front of wing to door dimension) and with small wheels. Will have to wait and see once I can get the 14 up the unit I guess!

Crazy_C

Post by Crazy_C » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:48 am

That's just nasty!!!!! That poor Aerodeck :( Mine's now that little bit rarer though :lol:

With the body swap over though, that will be easier within reason, but it won't be a RWD Aerodeck then, it'll be an S14 with an Aerodeck parked ontop of it. Either way it'll be awesome! Personally, the way I'd do it, is get something like an MR2 rear subframe, make that bolt into the back of the Aerodeck, and then you'll have a rear engine / RWD Aerodeck, and probably the only shooting brake estate car where the storage area is under the hood :lol:

Oh, and a quick thing to mention, your dimensions are for the hatch, not the Aerodeck. Everything was close enough really but there is a bit of difference in length.
becca wrote:Length
Hatchback: 4,440 mm (174.8 in)
Aerodeck: 4365mm
4thgenphil wrote:you're odd and that made me crap myself!
RattyMcClelland wrote:Dom with a fag in his mouth. A rare sight. :lol:
nitin_s1 wrote:I am Nitin, motha fucka!
mart609 wrote:It wasn't a good look standing around stratching my nuts every 5 minutes. Never again :lol:

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:34 am

becca wrote:
NafemanNathan wrote:That 76mm difference in the wheelbase is going to send the rear wheels right into the arch though isn't it?
I'm hoping it can be lost in the front arches and just have them sit a little further back (as they're wider than the rear ones from front of wing to door dimension) and with small wheels. Will have to wait and see once I can get the 14 up the unit I guess!
I can't recall, but how close to the inside of the arch are the front wheels on full lock? Is it more than 76mm? Can't be that much. Isn't it going to look seriously odd with the front wheels that far back in the arch?

Also, you're going to have to seriously reinforce that Aerodeck shell if you do do this? Have you seen the final pics in my Aerodeck profile thread? That was a gentle prang at under 20mph. The twist it put through that body was ridiculous :?

becca

Post by becca » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Yeah, I kind of took the assumption that the images and the info on measurements weren't linked properly?

I thought it unlikely that the sedan and coupe would both be the same shape with differing number of doors yet be different dimensions :/ Sedan and coupe photos show both with large boot but being a 3dr and 5dr version. Yet dimensions list shows that sedan and coupe are differing widths and heights? :? only using it as a VERY basic guide anyway.

Aerodeck is listed as a Hatchback on V5 so assumed that must be where the hatch measurements came from.

It's definitely going to be SERIOUSLY reinforced. WELD E'RYTHANG. Plus cage. Gussets. The works. It will never be a 'road legal' car - track only. The tests to get it registered are so strict, and usually made for kit cars (eg. that come with some kind of blueprint to work from) and they pull them apart for every little thing. I will make sure it meets all their standards for safety (within reason, y'know I'm not gonna try to fit airbags obv.) but not actually put it through the test. Glass is all going to be removed and replaced for plastic and all bar the windscreen will be reinforced also with bars and gussets (so it's gonna be driving a prison cell on wheels like)...

It'll all come together hopefully. Though it'll definitely be a very long term project.

Crazy_C

Post by Crazy_C » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:16 pm

The 3rd gen Accord hatch looks like a Trueno Sprinter :lol:

All the dimensions did change from model to model. A pillar forwards was the only same part between them all (other than the fixed light versions).

I still think, in all honesty, that doing it that way is making life a lot harder for yourself. The jigging that will be required to make sure that the body and chassis stay dead straight when they're separated from their respective cars, and then the jig set up to align the two together isn't going to be just a simple set up. Fabricating mounts to fit a RWD axle will be simpler than fabricating mounts to change and entire body and chassis over.

I'd say get yourself on somewhere like Rods n Sods where people will take something like a 10hp Austin, and fit a Rover V8, and a Jag IRS set up to it as the norm, and they'll be able to give advice on how to go about doing this the best and easiest way.
4thgenphil wrote:you're odd and that made me crap myself!
RattyMcClelland wrote:Dom with a fag in his mouth. A rare sight. :lol:
nitin_s1 wrote:I am Nitin, motha fucka!
mart609 wrote:It wasn't a good look standing around stratching my nuts every 5 minutes. Never again :lol:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:14 am

Crazy makes sense to me ( :? Wait, did someone actually say that on here and mean it? :o )
but yeah, he does!
I've not chopped cars about like this, so can't speak from experience, but... Aside from anything else, there is no 'chassis' on modern cars anyway, it's a monocoque bodyshell, so what is gained by trying to retain the floor pan from the Nissan? It's lost all its strength and integrity (and s14-ness!) anyway and by joining it to aerodeck sides and roof, it doesn't get that back?

mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:26 am

its been done so many times mostly in the good ole U S of A and I can see the value of putting a great looking classic body on a modern chassis.

However it would need great skill to keep the new chassis straight and true and retain its stiffness (stop sniggering your not 12) without adding huge amounts of weight
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:56 am

mercutio wrote:stop sniggering your not 12
No????

becca

Post by becca » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:29 pm

I know which one the hatch is :lol: I just assumed Wiki had it wrong (as they very often do, user generated)

Still just toying with ideas right now - haven't been to look at the S14 properly yet, I think it's still in the bush. The main problem with just an engine swap is the amount of custom parts that would need to be made up to make it all work on the Aerodeck (£££££££) which seems like a waste of money for something that's NEVER going to be on the road/legal again.

Would hopefully be able to keep more than just the floor pan of the S14. Suspension, everything. I probably don't make much sense because technical terms slip my mind often, but most of the inner skin would be kept, engine bay etc and the Accord front end modified to fit around it. I suppose similarly to when people swap out their front end for a newer / older model look - just with a lot more fabrication involved :lol:

Still just throwing ideas around anyway, could get the S14 stripped out or parked up next to the deck and just see that it's 100% not feasible, ever and take a totally different route. I just can't see the damn thing go to the scrappy :roll:

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”