Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Dexter - '86 AeroDeck

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
Monzta
My Generation: 3G

Re: Dexter - '86 AeroDeck

Post by Monzta » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:45 pm

Crazy_C wrote:
Monzta wrote:Curses! I'm found out.

I was wearing my coat with the massive pockets. :lol:
So the scrappy visiting coat then? :lol: I've snuck a rad out of a scrappy before under a trench coat :lol:
Oh yes, I had a scrappy coat with pockets so deep I could put my hands in and scratch my feet. :D

I never purloined a rad though ... my swag was usually bulbs, fuses and switches.
Crazy_C wrote:I'm on my phone at the moment, so can't upload a photo, but I got rid of about 4 foot of intake pipe work. I had a similar issue with it drawing in hot air as the pipe work runs behind the block!!!

As for the clutch, just adjust it. There's an adjuster knob just above and I front of the gearbox. I snapped a clutch cable, and when I put the new one on, the clutch was too low for my liking so I just adjusted it slightly, but it works both ways. Might help till you get the clutch done.
Fantastic Top Gear Top Tips ... nice one! Definitely interested in seeing any phots you have.

Seems a strange set up to me to have the air filter where it is behind the block. I can't help thinking the car's crying out for a Cold Air Induction kit like my Civic. A cone filter in the O/S/F wing then air channeling through pipework following the route of the existing ducting through to the airbox (but with paper filter now removed).

Adjustment of the clutch would be fantastic. It's actually got a nice feel to it allowing for smooth changes but the actual pedal travel is just way too long.
1989 Honda Accord Aerodeck EXi (33k miles)
CLICK ON THE BADGE FOR DEXTER'S FACEBOOK FANPAGE Image

Crazy_C

Post by Crazy_C » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Air intake system before:

And after:

Forgive the horrid state of the rocker cover, it's much prettier now!! :D

I would say that it's the clutch adjuster set wrong, rather than the clutch going then if it's still changing smoothly. If you look above the engine, aim for the left hand side of the dizzy, and go down about a foot, you'll see the clutch cable, and you should be able to feel a ridged wheel that you can turn, this will dial the clutch in and out. Just play around with it till you're happy. Took me about 15 minutes to get mine set to how I wanted it, and now it's spot on :D
4thgenphil wrote:you're odd and that made me crap myself!
RattyMcClelland wrote:Dom with a fag in his mouth. A rare sight. :lol:
nitin_s1 wrote:I am Nitin, motha fucka!
mart609 wrote:It wasn't a good look standing around stratching my nuts every 5 minutes. Never again :lol:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 pm

:shock: Dom is another person that's messed up hs PCV...Careful, or Ratty will be on your case! :scaredtoss:

RattyMcClelland
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:19 pm

PCV fail right there. :facepalm:

Monzta

Post by Monzta » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:28 pm

Crazy_C wrote:Air intake system after:

Forgive the horrid state of the rocker cover, it's much prettier now!! :D
Nice one, thanks for that. 8-)

Did this make any difference to the performance and running of the engine? Any heatsoak problems?

It's certainly something I'd like to do if it improves things but ultimately I'd like to fit a CAI as per my Civic. it made a big difference to the pick up of my little 1.6 lump as soon as it was fitted.

My rocker cover is pretty scruffy too but I bought Nathan's one off him from his sadly demised Deck as a spare so will get that tarted up in due course. Still considering a colour scheme though.
Crazy_C wrote:I would say that it's the clutch adjuster set wrong, rather than the clutch going then if it's still changing smoothly. If you look above the engine, aim for the left hand side of the dizzy, and go down about a foot, you'll see the clutch cable, and you should be able to feel a ridged wheel that you can turn, this will dial the clutch in and out. Just play around with it till you're happy. Took me about 15 minutes to get mine set to how I wanted it, and now it's spot on :D
Sounds easy enough ... just watch me balls it up anyway. ;)

I was having a little Googling session earlier ... is this video pretty much what I need to be doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4CUBB01qX8

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Post by jjmartin349571 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:31 pm

I think the reason the air intake piping is so long is so that it develops more torque?? I could well be wrong but I thought long intakes helped that. Same as the whole resonator removal should you/shouldn't you argument on the 4g and 5g preludes :?

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 am

jjmartin's correct. You'll gain more torque from a longer intake pipe. Short like Dom's will rev faster, but ultimately you'll loose power. And if my B20 is anything to go by, a couple degrees cooler air makes a world of difference in the performance. Throttle is improved no end on cold mornings compared to hot afternoons, so I say a CAI is a must on these older Hondas.

And yes, nice PCV fail Dom! :lol: Replaced your filter yet? ;-)

Monzta

Post by Monzta » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:10 am

Torque is more important to me so I'll stick with the standard setup until I can fathom out a CAI. Plenty of other jobs to be getting on with in the meantime.

Monzta

Post by Monzta » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:08 am

Next job I did was make a start on the copious quantities of tinworm around the back end of the car. Both rear sills, arches, N/S/R light panel, fuel filler recess, around the aerial, both doors ... the list goes on.

I've no real plans as yet to deal with it on a permanant basis as fundage and other commitments stymie that plan. But it seemed a good idea to at least halt the rust's progress where I could.

So a belt 'n' braces approach was taken involving a wire brush, big screwdriver, sandpaper, filler, primer, a big can of Rust Remedy and an even bigger can of Smoothrite.

Small holes became bigger holes but in due course the rust was sent packing ... at least for the time being.

Before:

After:

OK, it's still not pretty but with the time and facilities I had available my only real concern was to hold back the decay.

While I was at it though I picked up a cheap set of 15" alloys from the Bay to reduce some of the floaty ride I was getting from the Spongematic 13" steelies the car came with.

I gave the calipers and hubs a clean up and lick of paint ...

End result ...

K30DPC
LotM Winner

Post by K30DPC » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:02 am

Looking good.

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”