Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Awww I missed it! =(

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
farlow
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Pikey Pockets

Post by farlow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:30 am

Nathan, have you looked into steel framed garages. I was quoted for a fairly large steel 'industrial unit' type garage recently and it was surprisingly cheap. The majority of the cost is in the ground work and if that's already done your halfway there.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:36 am

Do you mean steel frames with blockwork inbetween? As it stands the sides and ends will be all blockwork (either cavity wall or laid flat) and then I was going to go steel rafters.

Out of interest what were you quoted and for what size?

farlow
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Pikey Pockets

Post by farlow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Looks like Claire's hidden the quote from me at this time but off the top of my head, 7m x 12m was about £8000 uninsulated and £12000 with 40mm insulation. These prices are for the garage fully erected with two roller shutter doors but did not include any groundworks.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Agricultural steel portal frame buildings with simple blockwork in-fill walls with/without cladding (both entirely non-structural elements) are very cheap ways of slinging up a building.
They require suitable footings in place, as farlow says, so I'm not sure if they'll work with the groundworks you already have in place. Have a search round t'interweb for agricultural building suppliers and you'll find loads of em.

You can buy insulated metal pre-fab garages dirt cheap these days as well, of varying sizes. When I went to the classic car show last year there was an ex demo, insulated, double garage with twin roller shutter doors and double glazed windows, available for £4k delivered which was amazing value! These wouldn't give you the height you want/need for a 2 lift though.

Why is it you're thinking of going for cavity wall construction on the garage out of interest, Nafe?

Ted

Post by Ted » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 pm

He's Thinking of moving the in laws in and spending the retirement home fund they have put away on his 4th gen

Sailor
Supporter 2016

Post by Sailor » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:19 pm

You could also consider buying second hand steel-framed buildings and cladding the insides for a bit of insulation.
International Pensioner of Mystery

nucleustylzlude

Post by nucleustylzlude » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:08 am

I recently found these guys just over the bridge in Caldicot to quote for my decking/car port option. They were more expensive due to the bespoke design I needed but there off the shelf kits seem good:

http://www.timber-frame-building.co.uk

One hand of a stack of different business avenues they do:

http://www.benfieldattgroup.co.uk/about ... frame.html

Worth a look bud. :D

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:35 am

The timber shed would literally be a temporary storage solution which would allow me to empty my two smaller sheds and get rid of them. I could build the new shed on the garage base, but then still build the garage up and around it.

I've found a 15x10' timber shed for under £800 delivered, so come the drier weather I'll be looking to get one. I can then sell it on once I've finished with it.

It was the building surveyor that said I either had to go cavity wall or laid flat due to its size. I was going to go single skin with piers, but he said that wouldn't have been enough. At least with the block work I can do it in stages to stagger the costs :)

Ted

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Pillars

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner

Post by NafemanNathan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:24 pm

I don't want any obstacles inside.

Return to “General Chat”