Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Josh's BA2 Prelude GSi

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Re: Josh's BA2 Prelude GSi

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:41 am

I can't say I know much about ICE either, only what I've read on t'internet :) I had Fli stuff in the Xsara, which I took out when I sold it. It was good kit for the money I thought, I keep meaning to swap the speakers that are the right size into my Accord.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:55 am

ICE! That's it! I couldn't think of what it was called lol

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:07 pm

It's been a while since I paid this car any attention, so I hauled my arse into the garage this eve. My goal was to remove and strip the rear calliper I have access to at the moment. All in all it wasn't too bad a job to remove it, I used a jobby ton of WD40 on all the bolts before I started and managed to get all the bolts off whilst only incurring one loss of hand skin, which is a result in my book 8-) by far the worst part was this basterword clevis pin

I managed to refrain from cutting any handbrake cables in anger this time around! Although mole grips, a pry bar and an impact driver all failed to shift it - I actually got it out by putting a flat head screw driver against the edge of the head of the pin, where it had corroded to the handbrake cable, and then I went to town with a hammer to break the bond and prise under the pin head. It worked surprisingly quickly!

Calliper out:

Anyway I have fallen at the next hurdle :lol: the piston is stuck fast in the calliper and I can't get enough leverage by hand using a piston winding tool to remove it. I'll buy a bench vice tomorrow and take another crack at it with my breaker bar this time, and if that fails I'll just take it to my mechanic friend :lol:

After the brakes I will be tackling the rust - things are going to get expensive I think, the sills and arches are rotten as anything :(

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:19 am

It's interesting to see how that caliper is basically the same that got used all the way through to the 5th gen :D (including the nightmare handbrake cable pin :lol: )

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Post by NafemanNathan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:49 pm

jjmartin349571 started having a go at some bodywork on his second gen today. He doubts it will look amazing when done but hopefully it'll look better than it does currently with lacquer peel and stone chips.

He's sanding away and it's slowly getting smooth 8-)

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:05 pm

^ What he said :lol:

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:44 pm

I stopped by Machine Mart today, and finally bought a bench vice :oops:

Anyway I got cracking with removing the piston from the rear calliper once I mounted the vice to my work bench.

I found that this thing was useless:

I bent the handle on it several times, and I reckon that part of the problem is that the pitch on the tool is different to the pitch of the thread inside the calliper. The piston presumably rises more per turn than the tool and this instantly jams it :evil:

So I broke out Big Bertha:

The combo of large breaker bar and socket adapter from the rewind tool did the job admirably 8-)

Piston is drokked :lol: Best get a new one + seal kit on order.

Some crap fell inside of the calliper as the piston came out though :? I've sprayed brake cleaner through, hopefully that's shifted any flecks of rust that dropped in.

Prised out the old inner seal:

And started wire brushing ready for paint. I'm thinking of going gold, to match the valve cover:

And a quick question for those more knowledgeable than myself - do I need to take the gubbins out the inside of the piston in order to swap them into the new one?

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:02 pm

I had exactly the same problem with that wind-back tool :troll:

Are the bores in the caliper ok?

Return to “Lude Profiles”